Authentication issues since new release of Experience Builder October 2020

10-27-2020 03:24 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi team, 

Since the update to Experience Builder last week, we have a major issue with authentication for our experiences. This is a similar issue to this thread however I think this needs a bit more attention so wanted to highlight in it's own post. 

Previous to the update, every morning I would open my Experience and would be prompted to login, regardless of what browser I was using, clearing my cache, or using a private window. This is expected behavior for AGOL Apps like story maps, dashboards, etc. and everything was working fine. I wasn't prompted to login for the rest of the day unless I logged out. 

Since the update, I can now open my Experience first thing in the morning and I won't be prompted to log in. I can see all the data, maps, and widgets in the experience fine, however my embedded AGOL content inside the Experience will not load. It's almost as if the authentication token is still valid for Experience Builder, but for all other AGOL apps has expired, meaning that I can't interact with other AGOL content. I have tested this across multiple Experiences and they behave the same.

Experience Builder doesn't have a navigation bar/header with a "sign in" or "sign out" button, so this makes it even more confusing because I can see the Experience fine (which to me means I'm "logged in") but when I open new tabs for other AGOL Content it does NOT say that I am signed in. 

I realize that I can clear my cache or use a private window to get it to work, but that is not a good long term solution. We need this fixed for security reasons and for a better user experience. 

We are also getting a strange error with the title of the Experience changing to "undefined" - not sure if this is related or if this is a different bug. 

Is this being looked at with high priority? Is there some sort of authentication setting that I need to change within my organization? Any help is greatly appreciated.

13 Replies
TonghuiMing
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Karen,

We are looking into it and trying to locate the problem with a solution soon. Thanks for bringing it up.

Best,

Tonghui

0 Kudos
SuYing_Phee
New Contributor II

Hi Tonghui, 

Are there any updates on this error? 

Thanks, 

Su Ying

0 Kudos
TonghuiMing
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Su Ying,

It is related to the server request mechanism of Survey123. Cc my colleague Zhifang Wang‌ - he will have a better idea of the details.

Thanks,

Tonghui

0 Kudos
SuYing_Phee
New Contributor II

Hi Tonghui, 

We do not believe it is a Survey123 error as we have been getting similar issues with other Experience Builders (that do not have Survey123 embedded). Users are not being prompted to login to AGOL if Experience Builder is the first thing they open in the morning but they are for other AGOL content. As Karen said above, we need this fixed for security reasons and for a better user experience. 

Thanks, 

Su Ying

0 Kudos
GraemeHill
New Contributor III

Still no update? Our users are very frustrated with this issue, I have to get them to visit arcgis.com and sign in before using any experience builder sites, sending them to experience.arcgis.com is not user friendly as the site thumbnails are for editing the site not using the site, so they are presented with messages that they cannot edit the site as they dont have those permissions. I am not sure why experience builder cannot just display the login screen like every other arcgis online app, why is this credential caching even happening in the first place.

0 Kudos
SuYing_Phee
New Contributor II

Still no update. We are still getting emails about users experiencing this error and having them do workarounds like clearing their cache/use a private window before using the experience builder site. 

0 Kudos
SuYing_Phee
New Contributor II

Hi @TonghuiMing ,

We are still experiencing this issue. Do you have any updates or recommendation for fixes? 

Thanks! 

0 Kudos
Junshan_Liu
Occasional Contributor

Hi,  when you see the issue, can you follow these steps to provide some information to help us identify the reason:

* Open "more tools -> developer tools"

* Click "application" tab

* Click "cookies", select the "experience.arcgis.com", then take a screenshot of the cookies

* Click "local storage", select the "experience.arcgis.com",  then take a screenshot

For the "undefined" title issue, it'll be fixed in the coming release.

0 Kudos
Junshan_Liu
Occasional Contributor

@SuYing_Phee The bug is confirmed, we'll fix it in the coming release.