AnsweredAssumed Answered

Concurrent edit sessions on same non-versioned geodatabase

Question asked by MollyKFoley on Oct 10, 2020
Latest reply on Oct 13, 2020 by MollyKFoley

I have two python scripts that are scheduled to run at 12:00 AM everyday that edit different feature classes in the same non-versioned enterprise geodatabase. I haven't yet run them at the same time because I'm not sure if two edit sessions being launched within minutes of each other on the same database is possible, and I don't want to screw with any existing data until I have a better answer. Basically, each script calls this exact same piece of code (same workspace):

#Start editing session
arcpy.AddMessage("Starting editing session...")
try:
   editor = arcpy.da.Editor(collector_db_con)
   editor.startEditing(False, False)
   editor.startOperation()
except:
   raise EditingErr(traceback.format_exc())

I looked at information about locks and it appears that locks apply to individual datasets so there shouldn't be conflicts there since the feature classes being edited by the two scripts are different, but I would like more clarity since editing sessions are initialized on the entire workspace. I can foresee getting errors.

Before anyone suggests I merge the two scripts together, there are reasons they are separate and I will not be merging them. If two edit sessions cannot be done on the same workspace simultaneously, then I will just schedule them differently.

Outcomes