Grouping Layers in ArcGIS Online

10-06-2020 10:50 AM
DryCreekEng
Occasional Contributor

I heard rumor that we should now be able to group layers together in ArcGIS online webmaps similar to what we do in ArcMap and ArcPro thanks to one of the recent updates.  However, I still cannot figure out how to make it happen.  Does someone know how to do this now? 

10 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Natalie Martinkus‌, you can now group layers using Map Viewer Beta. Here is a blog on the new functionality: Try out group layers with Map Viewer Beta. You can access Map Viewer Beta from the organization's App Launcher:

I hope this helps,

-Peter 

DryCreekEng
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Peter, I appreciate it!

FaisalKhan123
New Contributor

The issue i believe is still you can't use mapviewer with web app builder, is that correct? 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @FaisalKhan123 you are able to use maps created with Map Viewer beta in Web AppBuilder, but certain features that use the ArcGIS API for Javascript 4.x, such as group layers or showing attachments in popups, will not carry over to Web AppBuilder as it uses the ArcGIS API for Javascript 3.x and does not support the 4.x features. This GeoNet document shows which ArcGIS apps use which API, if you're interested. 

Hope this help,

-Peter 

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Peter thank you for the responses to this subject.  After looking at the documentation you referenced above it appears that we could take a map, open it in Map Beta and then publish using Experience Builder and it would honor the layer groups created in Map Beta?  Can you confirm?

thank you

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Ryan, I can confirm that Experience Builder will honor the group layers configured in Map Viewer Beta. 

Thanks,

-Peter

AlexBrasch
New Contributor III

Hi @Anonymous User, does Esri have a date for when Web AppBuilder will be upgraded to ArcGIS API for Javascript 4.x? It seems extremely asinine to unveil the new Web Viewer, when the functionality cannot be used in web apps.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @AlexBrasch there are not currently plans to update Web AppBuilder to the 4.x API for JavaScript. ArcGIS Experience Builder, ArcGIS Dashboards and Instant Apps all enable creating web apps that honor group layers. There are new widgets added to ArcGIS Experience Builder at each update, so you may find that the functionality you're using in Web AppBuilder is available in Experience Builder. 

Thanks,

-Peter

0 Kudos
AlexBrasch
New Contributor III

Hi @Anonymous User, thanks for the prompt response. Good to know--I suppose I'll have to investigate if Experience Builder will cover all the functionality my team uses in Web AppBuilder (Developer Edition). In any case it will be painful, seeing that Experience Builder documentation notes "Experience Builder is different from Web AppBuilder in a variety of ways. Because of these differences, directly converting custom widgets and themes from Web AppBuilder to Experience Builder is not possible." Moreover, we'll have to "First, review the Experience Builder documentation, and learn TypeScript, React, JSX, and Jimu per the Getting Started documentation.

On that note, is there a central location where one can view all these tools and their associated functionality and dependencies? I find it difficult to easily know whether I should be using Configurable Apps, Web AppBuilder, Experience Builder, ArcGIS Dashboards, etc.

0 Kudos