query widget for querying features on 3D scenes

10-04-2020 06:00 AM
Labels (1)
MichaelLev
Occasional Contributor III

I need a Query widget, (and/or Info Summaey Widget) to query feature layers on Web AppBuilder (Develper Edtion) 3D Scenes.

The 2D Query widget is not suitable since it uses ArcGIS API for javascript 3,

whilst 3D scenes use ArcGIS API for javascript 4.16.

Are there some code examples or some hints how to develop custom widget for querying features on 3D scenes?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MichaelLev

Dear rscheitlin , As no one has referred to my short focused question until now, can you help?

Michael

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Honestly the simple answer is if you wanting to use 3D and 4.x then you need to forget WAB and start looking at experience builder. There is no available widget in WAB.

MichaelLev

Dear Robert, thank you very much for answering and providing this information!

I know very little about Experience Builder... I recently installed it and played with it for only 1-2 hours. I can follow Pinde Fu's "getting to know web gis" 4th edition chapter 3 and start developing on it. I'll appreciate it and thank you if you will please tell me -

1. You wrote that my company should "forget" WAB and use experience builder instead. This is a very "strong" phrase... I need to fully understand the reason for this stong statement -  Does Experience Builder already have query widgets in its system (as WAB 2D)? Are there other reasons? Please bear in mind that I need to persuade my boss aboutthe need to invest a lot of time in it.
  2. How can I know which widgets are already built into Experience Builder? I can't see any widgets in EXB folders tree, so I don't know from where to learn.
  3. What do I need to do to "copy" the 12 custom widgets I've already developed for WAB into experience builder? What is the process needed for it? I want to be able to know how to assess the time needed for converting each custom widget.
  4. Some hints and suggestions on how to start developing custom widgets on Experience Builder. I know nothing yet. Do I have to use typescript instead of javascript? Do I have to use Python?

With appreciation,

Michael

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Michael,

1. If you are paying attention to what esri is doing as far as web. Then you will see that WAB is being replaced with EB. EB is the product that is build solely on JS API 4.x, where as WAB is 3.x for 2D and 4.x for 3D. But esri has already stated that new development efforts will not be made for WAB.

2. look on the web. ArcGIS Experience Builder | Build & Deploy Web Apps 

3. You can't EB uses react and typescript.

4. Ask question in the EB Space. https://community.esri.com/community/arcgis-experience-builder