join table only does the first row

09-28-2020 11:54 AM
DavidHirschberg
New Contributor

So my problem is here.

I have two tables one that has all the census data and the other that has observation data based off the FID that is found in the census data.

here is the structure for table 1

CASES, FID,DATE

structure for table 2

FID, other information

the data in table one has multiple values going to FID 10

I really want to join the table with the layer using FID but whenever I do that only the first row is populating to the table. I am trying to use temporal analysis and look add the data using a time slider but I can't get passed this hurdle. Any help would be appreciated.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Sounds like you are trying to make a 1 to Many join, and out of the box ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro don't do one to many joins: use a relate or relationship class.  

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
LukasFalk
Esri Contributor

Hello David, 

Joe is right, ArcMap and ArcGIS Pro don't support One to Many cardinality on Joins.  Using a relate or relationship class are two alternatives you can utilize.  If for some reason you are set on using a Join however, there are some roundabout ways you can achieve this.  Below is the URL for documentation about how to achieve this in ArcMap, although all the core concepts should carry over to ArcGIS Pro.  

How To: Create a one-to-many join in ArcMap 

However if you're not dead set on using a join, setting up a relate will be the more straightforward workflow.  

I hope this helps!

Lukas 

0 Kudos
TimOrmsby
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi David,

a one-to-many join is for most purposes not a recommended workflow in Pro, but it is possible and can be used for temporal visualization. It may be that the data in your tables needs to be reorganized using the Transpose Fields tool or some field calculations. Documentation is not extensive but there is a tutorial that works in detail through a similar scenario: Visualize temporal data. It's a bit of a time investment but it should give you insight into how your table data needs to be structured.