Line network in Roads and Highways

09-24-2020 10:55 AM
MasaoMatsuoka
Occasional Contributor

Hello. I am experimenting with Roads and Highways in ArcGIS Pro 2.6.1. I noticed in the Create LRS Network GP tool, it has the options for supporting the line network. In the help documentation for the Pipeline (RH help does not say anything about this), it says the line network supports equation. Our mile posting does have equations, so should we use the options for the line network? The options are "Derive From Line Network" and "Include Fields to Support Lines". Any other guidance on modeling back mileage (mileage overlap) and gaps in mile posting would be very helpful.

Do you have any samples that demonstrate this in RH ArcGIS Pro version?

Thanks

Masao

Masao Matsuoka
0 Kudos
5 Replies
MasaoMatsuoka
Occasional Contributor

Any suggestions? Is it OK to use line network in Roads and Highways to support equations?

Thanks

Masao

Masao Matsuoka
0 Kudos
NathanEasley
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Masao,

You're correct that the line network functionality is designed to support equation points, which are prevalent in the transmission pipeline industry, and the need to still have a continuous measure for these routes for reporting purposes.  While you can absolutely evaluate the functionality and determine if it meets you needs, be aware that there are some ArcMap equivalency items that aren't yet into ArcGIS Pro.

I'll also mention that depending on what your equation points are being used for, you could also explore the support for stationing events and locating events based on stationing measures that we added into ArcMap and Event Editor quite a few releases ago.

Stationing events—ArcMap | Documentation and Adding linear events by station measures—ArcGIS Roads and Highways Server | Documentation for ArcGIS... 

Nathan

ArcGIS Roads and Highways team

MasaoMatsuoka
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the answer. Since we are starting from scratch now, and won't go production for awhile, we prefer to stay in ArcGIS Pro so we won't have to migrate later. But I will definitely look into your suggestion. 

By the way do you have a list of items that are not yet in ArcGIS Pro?

Thanks

Masao

Masao Matsuoka
0 Kudos
NathanEasley
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Masao,

The remaining ArcMap equivalency items that we're working to bring into ArcGIS Pro are:

-External Event Support

-Cover Event Behavior

-Concurrent Route/Route Dominance

-Complex Shapes (loops, cul de sacs, ramps, branches, etc.) Support

-Reverse Route

Nathan

ArcGIS Roads and Highways team

MasaoMatsuoka
Occasional Contributor

Nathan,

Thank you for the list. Do you have timeline for those items, especially for the complex shapes? This will determine whether we should try to implement using Pro or ArcMap.

Also what are you exactly working on for the loop and ramp support? I thought while I was experimenting I was able to implement loops. What is not working in Pro? We are actively experimenting with Pro currently, so this information is critical for us.

As long as these items will be addressed in a year or so, I think we prefer to stick with Pro. If you want us to Beta test etc., we could do that as well.

Thanks

Masao

Masao Matsuoka
0 Kudos