Survey123 Points at 0,0

09-23-2020 10:35 AM
BillHeigh
Occasional Contributor

Hi there,

I have several surveys I have created that don't employ a GeoPoint question. Most of these surveys are being accessed through Collector maps I have published for inspecting assets. I created the surveys to 1) allow inspectors to choose multiple items from a checklist, and 2) make the inspection process easier by presenting inspection questions in bigger text allow relief from a big long list of possible inspection items.

I employed these surveys without much concern for bringing the data back because I tested it and it worked great, and as designed. Now however, I am finding that I have to perform a join to get the survey data related to my asset points in Collector and AGOL. So I revised many of the surveys to include a GeoPoint question and added a view of that data to my Collector maps so the inspectors can see where they left off. That's working great and the inspectors really like that change.

When I perform the join, I can see all my related survey data, however since many of the survey answers are at 0,0 I have to click on each asset point (or I could create a complex labeling expression) to determine if there is related data or not since I cannot depend on seeing the survey points on my map. I have been searching for a way to edit these survey points to move them back to (or near) the asset points 'auto-magically' but I can't find a way to do that. The only way I can do it is individually in an edit session and manually, as far as I can tell.

I am starting to become familiar with Python and I have looked for a way to do this programmatically but can't find any examples or ideas. Maybe someone here has done that or knows how to do it and can point me to a solution.

Thanks, Bill~

0 Kudos
2 Replies
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Bill, if you are opening the survey from Collector and want to keep the geopoint question away from users, I suggest you consider:

• Add a geopoint question to your survey
  • Set the appearance to hidden (the hidden appearance may not appear in the list of options, but you can add it manually)
  • Pass the coordinates of the asset, using the center parameter, when you trigger the survey from Collector

If you do the above, the geometry of your data entered from Survey123 will be placed at whatever location you set from the Collector link. Learn more at: Integrate with other apps—ArcGIS Survey123 | Documentation  This will not fix your existing data, but will prevent null geometries that you later need to fix.

0 Kudos
BillHeigh
Occasional Contributor

Hi Ismael,

Thank you for that information, I didn't realize I could hide the GeoPoint question, and had forgotten about passing the coordinates to Survey123. These are both good suggestions and the links are great resources as well. I am familiar with these and many other pages of help.

I am looking forward to others comments and suggestions for moving my existing points back to my point features.

Thanks, Bill~

0 Kudos