Prepare elevation layer locally and then publish it online

Jump to solution
09-23-2020 08:37 AM
Aðalsteinn_MarÓlafsson
New Contributor III

Hello,

I'm trying to figure out how to "publish" elevation layer by doing all the tile generation locally before uploading it to ArcGIS Online. I'm doing this because it becomes quite large when cached, and I have little experience so I'd rather not waste credits on trial and error.

1. Is the Manage Tile Cache the right tool?
  2. Does the number of .bundle files correspond to numbers of tiles generated (good to know beforehand how many tiles they are if I have to go the direct right-click route)?
  3. In Manage Tile Cache I can't specify LERC compression, maybe I should use another tool?
  4. Once I generate tiles, I would like to use it as my elevation layer in ArcGIS Pro as well, and I can't seem to find the "layer" after tile generation.
  5. I assume this will run smoother than having all the underlying dataset loading when I pan around?
  6. How would I upload this once created locally?

Looking for the tool that shares elevation as web layer, but with the option to do it locally.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Aðalsteinn_MarÓlafsson
New Contributor III

I finally found the workflow.

Firstly I needed to create the scheme. I achieved this using the scene layer that contained both the "basemap" and my elevation, to be honest, I think none of the data in my layers mattered other than the extents and coordinate system of the map.

Steps:

1. Generate Map Server Cache Tiling Scheme <- creates the first .XML file containing the tiling scheme.
  2. Generate Tile Cache Tiling Scheme <- Expand advanced options and select LERC compression in the Tile Format. For generation method use "predefined" and the output .XML file from step 1!
  3. Manage Tile Cache <- In Input Tiling Scheme use the tiling scheme from step 2. The output of this tool is a Raster Dataset that shows you the size and number of tiles.
  4. Export Tile Cache <- Export .tpk
  5. Finally, upload the .tpk from step 4 to AGOL using the add item, and check the publish box.

To add the correctly tiled map/raster on top of this:

1. Same as the first step above
  2. Create Map Tile Package <- using .XML from step 1 (note, do not use the LERC .XML scheme from step 2)
  3. Same as step 5.

The .tpk does not contain information about the number of tiles or size. If you want this also for your tiled map/raster, I suggest you could do steps 1 through 5 but choose another Tile Format method, such as png/.jpg/Mixed, I have not tried this method for publishing the basemap, but I think it should work.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Aðalsteinn_MarÓlafsson
New Contributor III

I finally found the workflow.

Firstly I needed to create the scheme. I achieved this using the scene layer that contained both the "basemap" and my elevation, to be honest, I think none of the data in my layers mattered other than the extents and coordinate system of the map.

Steps:

1. Generate Map Server Cache Tiling Scheme <- creates the first .XML file containing the tiling scheme.
  2. Generate Tile Cache Tiling Scheme <- Expand advanced options and select LERC compression in the Tile Format. For generation method use "predefined" and the output .XML file from step 1!
  3. Manage Tile Cache <- In Input Tiling Scheme use the tiling scheme from step 2. The output of this tool is a Raster Dataset that shows you the size and number of tiles.
  4. Export Tile Cache <- Export .tpk
  5. Finally, upload the .tpk from step 4 to AGOL using the add item, and check the publish box.

To add the correctly tiled map/raster on top of this:

1. Same as the first step above
  2. Create Map Tile Package <- using .XML from step 1 (note, do not use the LERC .XML scheme from step 2)
  3. Same as step 5.

The .tpk does not contain information about the number of tiles or size. If you want this also for your tiled map/raster, I suggest you could do steps 1 through 5 but choose another Tile Format method, such as png/.jpg/Mixed, I have not tried this method for publishing the basemap, but I think it should work.

Pam
by
New Contributor

I found a simpler way! Scroll down to "Create a tile package for a web elevation layer."

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/sharing/overview/tile-package.htm#GUID-853C5B89-8C83-4...

0 Kudos