Apply Field Mapping Settings to Append/GP Tools?

09-01-2020 11:14 AM
RobertHursey
Occasional Contributor II

Either I am doing something wrong, or the capability is just not there.  Can I apply the field mapping settings saved using this process https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/editing/configure-field-mapping.htm  to the append tool or any other geoprocessing tools?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Robert,

Those field mapping settings are used for some of the editing tools found on the Editing ribbon > Modify Features pane (Mirror, Attribute Transfer, Copy Parallel), and also used when Copying and Pasting features and attributes in the Attributes pane.

For the Append geoprocessing tool, the Field Map parameter will show up only if you have Use the Field Map to reconcile schema differences set for the Schema Type parameter.

Does that help?

Thanks

Scott

0 Kudos
RobertHursey

Thanks for the reply Scott. I have to say no because it does not apply the field map settings at all (at least for me). What I have found is that I only have the option to re-set field mapping up all over again within the tool itself. I would like to see a one stop shop and allow those settings to be applied to all tools with field mapping as an option.

Rob Hursey, GIS Analyst

618-296-5925 | rwhursey@co.madison.il.us<mailto:rwhursey@co.madison.il.us>

Madison County Government | 9-1-1 Administration

101 E. Edwardsville Rd | Wood River, IL, 62095

618-296-5911 | www.co.madison.il.us<http://www.co.madison.il.us/>

0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Robert,

Regarding having a one stop shop for field mapping for gp tools: you might want to post that over on the ArcGIS Ideas page - if it's not already over there.

I suppose one reason why Editing tools have their own Field Mapping option is because editing tools work on layers that are already in the map. GP tools can work on feature classes from any number of sources and are not restricted to what's already in the map.

Thanks,

Scott

0 Kudos
RobertHursey

Thanks Scott.  I will post this in the ideas page if it is not already there.  I honestly thought that is what I had done. Oops.  Sorry.

0 Kudos