Best database format for 3d buildings?

09-01-2020 04:56 AM
PoulSkræ
New Contributor

Hi there.

We are working on adding 3d buildings to our ESRI Platform in our municipality. We have an external partner to do the modelling of the 3d buildings.  They are almost finished and now they are asking which format we would like everything deliveret in?

They are talking about SQLite format or PostGIS as possible options. Are there any pros or cons on the formats? (or should we ask them for something else?)

Kind Regard

Poul

0 Kudos
2 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Poul-

The best data format to receive 3D buildings data and working directly with the ArcGIS Platform is through Multipatch features in a file geodatabase.  This will give you the ability to update features and use them in geoprocessing analysis tasks.  

You can publish these directly to ArcGIS Online and Enterprise from ArcGIS Pro as a 3D Object Scene Layer and view them in Scene Viewer and 3D apps.  

Phil

PoulSkræ
New Contributor

Hi Phil

Thank you for the answer.  I don't think the have the ability to deliver the data in a Multipatch feature, but I will look into this.  

Otherwise I should find a format I can import and then convert it to a Multipatch feature afterwards before adding it to our internal database.

0 Kudos