ArcGIS Pro 2.6: Is Citrix XenApp recommended for editors, viewers or 3D users of ArcGIS Pro?

08-24-2020 01:49 AM
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

ArcGIS Pro 2.6: Is Citrix XenApp recommended for editors, viewers or 3D users of ArcGIS Pro?

----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
Tags (2)
5 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Looks like XenDesktop is supported; Citrix on-premises VDI Overview—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

Update: Also look here - ArcGIS Pro 2.6 system requirements—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

--- George T.
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

But for which type of users is it recommended the most? Editors, 3D users or viewers?

Jamal Numan
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Based on the help, I would say that XenDesktop would be the best overall.

ArcGIS Pro with Citrix XenApp is strongly discouraged because of poor Windows OS session assignment and management of GPU memory.

Now, I am not a Citrix expert and do not have any practical knowledge on this. I would say that you may want to test based on your configuration with Citrix app works best. Also making sure the host Citrix machine is at least in compliance with the system requirements will also help.

Maybe others on GeoNet with Citrix application experience will chime in.

#virtualization#citrix

--- George T.
AhmadSALEH1
Occasional Contributor III

According to the esri white paper :

https://www.esri.com/content/dam/esrisites/en-us/media/pdf/virtualization-of-arcgis-pro.pdf 

Citrix Virtual Apps (Formerly XenApp) is not recommended for ArcGIS Pro. This delivery method is reliant on a single hosted operating system and resources that can hinder the delivery to users and not provide the best user experience.

the Current supported visualization environments for ArcGIS Pro include:

o VMWare ESXI and Horizon View

o VMWare ESXi and Citrix XenDesktop

o Citrix XenServer and XenDesktop

I remember that esri has / or sells appliances   designed to  virtualize ArcGIS Pro, take a look : 

https://www.esri.com/content/dam/esrisites/en-us/media/pdf/hardware-partners/dell/dellvirtualization... 

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Thank you guys for the input.

But in general, is citrix (as a software for VDI) recommended for viewer or editor users or doesn’t matter?

Jamal Numan