Projecting .obj 3D Drone Data in ArcPro

08-20-2020 11:54 AM
ParkGIS307
New Contributor

Hello,

I am trying to project a .obj file from my Drone Deploy software to plot in an ArcPro local scene. I am able to plot point cloud data easily but compared to the .obj data the point cloud data is pretty poor for visualization purposes. I am able to bring in one in through the import 3D files function however since it is not projected it plots off in the middle of nowhere. 

According to Drone Deploy these .obj files are not projected and are only for visualization through their web portal. It kind of strikes me as odd that such a high-resolution and high-quality data file would not have spatial reference if it is downloadable. 

I am curious if anyone has tried to project these datasets somehow or if there is any tool I am not aware of to get it to plot in a 3D local scene. 

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
NickNewman_GDFan
New Contributor

I have also been attempting to add .obj files from DD into ArcPro with some of the data captured by the drone lately, but I have so far been running into similar issues. My issue seems to be that the 3D models from the obj file are not shown on the local scenes I try to create, and I have also been using the Import 3D Files tool in the Geoprocessing toolbox.

It would be a real shame if these obj files were not usable in ArcPro and only, like you said, in the DroneDeploys own web visualization.

0 Kudos