Imported .mxd into ArcGIS Pro issue??

Jump to solution
08-13-2020 07:03 AM
BrianBulla
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,

I've created a tool that draws graphics (Overlay) onto the screen to help identify sewer connections.  It's all working fine....most of the time.  See below for an example.  What I am finding is that in some .aprx files the graphics draw fine, but in others they do not.  I think it may be a case of when the .aprx is created by importing an old .mxd document into ArcGIS Pro.  Does anyone know if that might be the cause??  Or should I be looking something else??

With a 'pure' .aprx file, no problems (ie. the red arrows get drawn):

With an imported .mxd to .aprx file, problems (ie. no graphics get drawn):

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Wolf
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Brian,

I tested my tool with a bunch of Mxd files from the ArcObjects community samples (10.8 sample data) and i was not able to duplicate the issue.  If you find a duplicatable case i will take another look.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Wolf
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Brian,

I was not able to duplicate this problem using Pro 2.6.  It's possible that this only happens with certain MXDs or maybe the Pro version is relevant.  I attached a small test program which contains a map tool that allows to select line features and displays the selected lines' vertices as graphic overlay points.  Maybe you can try the app with your MXD.

Running the add-in should yield output like this (this is an imported mxd):

0 Kudos
BrianBulla

Hi Wolfgang Kaiser‌.  What version of ArcGIS Pro did you build that project on?  All of the references come up as 'missing'.

I am on 2.6.0

0 Kudos
Wolf
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Brian,

Sorry about that but i am using a Pro install path of c:\arcgis ... you can just right click on the solution (or project) and use the Pro SDK's fix references utility to fix the references for your environment.

0 Kudos
BrianBulla

Hi Wolfgang Kaiser‌.  Thanks for that tip.  That is a very handy tool I hadn't seen before!!

Your tool is working in both maps.  I then tried my tool again in the imported on, and it still wasn't working at the same time yours was.  So i made another Map in my project, and it did work in that.  So still totally confusing.

I ended up linking the imported map with this new map just so I was working with the same data in each.  And then 'poof'....magically everything started working in the imported map.  Not sure if it's a coincidence or not, but I'll keep an eye on it.  Strange goings-ons.  🙂

0 Kudos
Wolf
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Brian,

I tested my tool with a bunch of Mxd files from the ArcObjects community samples (10.8 sample data) and i was not able to duplicate the issue.  If you find a duplicatable case i will take another look.