Survey123 Camera will not switch from selfie to rear view

08-14-2020 12:08 AM
PaulSweeney3
Occasional Contributor III

In survey123 the camera will not switch from selfie to rear facing on Android . i have granted permissions to the camera removed and reinstalled the app and still no joy. Anyone else have this issue? 

0 Kudos
22 Replies
LiamHarrington-Missin
Occasional Contributor II

Some of my users are also reporting this issue. 

I've tried to repeat the bug on some test devices but on mine it is functioning fine (iphone X, Ruggear Tablet, Galaxy A6).  The below is using S123 on a Samsung Galaxy A20e and I've also had it on the Galaxy A40;

Liam
RyanGillespie
New Contributor

I am also having this issue with a Galaxy S 9.

0 Kudos
PaulSweeney3

Hi Liam Harrington-Missin

I figured out that you can use new - rear in the appearance column of your .xlsform and it will default to your rear camera. This should address the issue until it is resolved however just to note if you switch to selfie it will not switch back.

0 Kudos
RyanGillespie
New Contributor

I tried this, and it was unsuccessful.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Paul and Ryan,

We have had some other users also report issues with Samsung S9 devices and switching cameras. Strangely enough we have a Samsung S9 here for testing and it works as expected (running latest Android 9 updates). It appears it could be hardware or driver/OS version related to specific Samsung devices that use a specific camera or internal hardware that is causing the issue. On similar Samsung S8, S10 and S20 we do not see the same issue.

Have you tired doing a factory reset and installing all OS and device updates again? Does this have any impact?

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
PaulSweeney3

Hi Philip Wilson

We have carried out a factory reset and installed all OS updates ect on a Samsung galaxy A20ea and still no joy with the camera. 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the update, and sorry to hear the factory reset did not fix the issue.

We are still looking into the issue and will provide an update if we get any further with it, but currently need to find a device that will cause the same behaviour. In the meantime can you please log a bug with Esri Support, so we can officially track and prioritise this bug accordingly.

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
PaulSweeney3

Hi Phil thanks , i have already raised a case with ESRI support. 

Regards Paul

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Paul,

The problem appears to be related to the number of cameras being reported by the device, in some cases there are 4 cameras (2 front and 2 rear cameras) but in other cases there are just 3 or 2 cameras. The device treats this hardware as one camera front and back, but in some cases where 3 cameras are reported it is causing the camera switcher to try and access them individually as if they are separate cameras. We managed to test on a A20 and see the issue reported.

Can you please take a screenshot of the About screen in the Survey123 app, press and hold on the AppStudio icon in the bottom left hand corner to expose more details and then scroll down to the camera section. It should look similar to following screenshots:

I just want to check how many cameras are being reported on the device you are having issues with.

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos