Rasters don't have attribute table, can't do a join

08-01-2020 09:43 AM
JoelZemanek
New Contributor II

I am working on an ArcGIS desktop project and am trying to join raster data that I created using the zonal statistics tool to a another raster. 

To be more specific, I created min, max, and mean slope/elevation raster data with the zonal statistics tool. My thought was that I could then join that slope/elevation raster data into another raster. However, when I try to join the slope/elevation data I can't because it looks like they don't have an attribute table. I attached a picture to show you - the attribute button is greyed out. I'm not sure what to do here.

I looked around online and on youtube and found that I could use the INT tool to create an attribute table for the elevation/slope rasters. However, when I tried to join the slope/elevation raster attributes (also note that I only want to join the elevation/slope number from the elevation/slope attribute table) I got this: You'll notice that the last three columns on the right are the ones that I joined. However, I only wanted to value column to join, not the objectID and count columns - and I have to figure out how to correctly join all 6 rasters (min elevation, max elevation, mean elevation, min slope, max slope, and mean slope).  

If I'm not providing enough detail please* let me know. I am still learning how to use ArcGIS and could really use the help. Thank you.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Are you looking for 

Zonal Statistics as Table (Spatial Analyst)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

(in arcmap as well as in Pro)

that produces a table based on a zone input file if you want to join to a polygon featureclass which represent your zones

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
JoelZemanek
New Contributor II

Thank you! That is just the tool I was looking for. Problem solved!

0 Kudos
JeffClark2
New Contributor

I also have a raster with no attribute data table, but when I click on the raster the info pop up shows the cell value. I tried to "Built Attribute Table" but that didn't change anything. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You need an integer raster not a float

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
JeffClark2
New Contributor

Thanks for the reply Dan. I created the raster using LAS Dataset to Raster tool and specified integer as the format, but it is still greyed out. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

from

LAS Dataset To Raster (Conversion)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

perhaps your raster is an esri grid (ie you didn't specify a *.tif extension and save to a folder)

or the dataset is too large to generate a raster table

Build Raster Attribute Table (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

I vaguely remember that there are limits on the number of records that can be generated, so you might want to give that a shot to see if you get an error or warning 

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
JeffClark2
New Contributor

Hi Dan,

I exported it as a raster in .tif format  - still no attribute table and then I build a new attribute table on that tiff and no dice. Went back to the LAS to Raster tool and saved in a folder with .tif extension - nada. Not sure what I am doing wrong, the data is definitely there, but I just can't see the table. I don't think size is an issue, it is only 88X62. Thanks for your help in troubleshooting!

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Jeff, you confirmed that it was an integer raster too, I presume

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos