Image classification on mosaic dataset

Jump to solution
07-30-2020 10:29 AM
OliviaChung1
New Contributor

If I applied color balance (or other functions to alter the color) to a mosaic dataset in a ArcMap environment, does the source raster altered? If not, then when I subsequently perform classifications on the mosaic dataset (the "image" layer in the ArcMap Table of Content), is the analysis done using the color-balanced raster or the source raster? On the other hand, if I perform classification to the mosaic dataset in ArcCatalog, is the analysis done using the color-balanced raster or the source rasters?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SangeetMathew
Esri Contributor

Hi Olivia , 

The source rasters on disk do not change but the pixel value in the mosaic items will be altered. So regardless of whether performing classification on the "Image layer" in the Contents or through ArcCatalog the analysis will be done on the color balance raster(mosaic items) not the source rasters on disk. 

Thanks

Sangeet

View solution in original post

2 Replies
SangeetMathew
Esri Contributor

Hi Olivia , 

The source rasters on disk do not change but the pixel value in the mosaic items will be altered. So regardless of whether performing classification on the "Image layer" in the Contents or through ArcCatalog the analysis will be done on the color balance raster(mosaic items) not the source rasters on disk. 

Thanks

Sangeet

OliviaChung1
New Contributor

Thanks Sangeet!

A slightly different question - Does it mean that the color balance applied to the mosaic dataset "persists" outside of ArcMap? I mean, if I add the mosaic dataset to another map, the color balance applied would still be there (as opposed to something like symbology that changes from one map to another)?

0 Kudos