Customize the Python Window

04-05-2011 01:07 PM
GregoryElwood
New Contributor II
Can the Python Window in ArcGIS be customized (font size/color, bkg color, etc) like Unix C Shells (csh or tcsh) ?

A script sample would be totally helpful...

Gregory
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
TerrySilveus
Occasional Contributor III
View -> options
0 Kudos
GregoryElwood
New Contributor II
Thanks for the reply.

I should have been more specific...I'm running ArcGIS 10, and launching the Python Window from either ArcCatalog or ArcMap.

Neither "View" in the Toolbar menu displays an "Option".

I'm a total Python newbie! Where exactly is this magical "View" of which thou speak?

Thanks...

Gregory
0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
Install Pythonwin from your installation CD, it provides a better IDE than the normal one...of course you could progress to better IDEs but you can customize Pythonwin to suit most of your needs
0 Kudos
TerrySilveus
Occasional Contributor III
I was talking about pythonWin, sorry.  It's easier for me to write directly in the python editor rather than from arcMap/Catalog.  It can be installed from the arcGIS installation disk, but doesn't install by default.
0 Kudos
GregoryElwood
New Contributor II
>>> string = "Thanks guys!"
>>> print string
Thanks guys!

🙂

Gregory
0 Kudos
KevinHibma
Esri Regular Contributor
As for your original question about customizing the python window in ArcMap - yes.
Right click in the window and select "format".
You can change font style/size as well as color.

I'd never recommend fooling around in the registry - but if you're savvy 🙂 you can export the registry for the PyWindow and make that a "script". I take my registry export and just double click it on whatever machine I'm on to get "my" Python Window.

After modifying the Py Window in ArcMap, take a look around
HKEY_USERS\< users >\Software\ESRI\Desktop10.0\ArcToolbox
for the keys. (at your own risk of course)