Joining Living Atlas Layer to Hosted Feature layer for Real Time Symbology

07-27-2020 11:36 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi, 

I would like to join the Live Stream Gauges layer to hosted feature layer I have published named Areas of Interest. I have identified Polygon Areas of Interest that can be join to the Living Atlas layer via StationID.I have made my join but it looks like once I joined the layers it is static and no longer pulls in the Live Stream Guage updates from NOAA. I also attempted this in Arcade but while I can get the Pop Ups to provide infromation by accessing featuresets I can't use it to Symbolize. 

Any ideas?

Thanks, 

Stefani

0 Kudos
4 Replies
CaitlinScopel
New Contributor III

Hi Stefani,

Here is a reply from our product engineer:

You cannot join two tables in a dynamic join unless they are in the same Database or Hosted Feature Service in this case. Joining a Feature Layer and a Table Layer in the same Hosted Feature Service is possible, but not from two different services.

The Arcade expression works because it performs a query to the Stream Gauges service to get the related rows.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

HI Caitlin, 

Is there a way to symbolize my layer based on the height field from the Live Stream Gauges layer with Arcade? Basically, if the stream gauge layer gets to a certain height (pulled from a field in my layer), then turn my polygon a different color?

Thanks, 

Stefani

0 Kudos
CaitlinScopel
New Contributor III

Hi Stefani,

This is something that GeoEvent Extension can do. Using the Polygons as a GeoFence, it could identify the Stream Gauges inside the Fence line and check for an elevated Stage height and take some action. But as far as I know, not Arcade. Good luck!

Caitlin and Paul

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Caitlin, 

I was able to solve this using Pandas and the Python API. Th California Nevada River Forecast Center puts out an online XML that is updated every 5 minutes. I was able to parse this xml: 

https://www.cnrfc.noaa.gov/data/kml/riverFcst.xml? into a Pandas DataFrame. From there I added an empty field to my polygon layer hold the current water height from thier stream gauges(same as NOAA). I then turned my hosted feature layer into a spatial dataframe, jointed to the live stream gauge df I created and calced in the current river height to my polygon layer. I have this set up to run every so often to keep the data current. Its not the Living Atlas or Arcade solution I wanted, but it works like a charm.

I do have some questions about the GeoEvent Extension though. Is this different from a GeoEvent server? Which liscenses include this extension? Does it cost credits?

I feel like my company could defietly benefit from this technology. 

Thanks!

0 Kudos