Difference between Scene Layer created from SLPK and Multipatch on AGOL?

07-27-2020 06:38 AM
Erlend_Førde_Schjetne
New Contributor II

Can anyone please explain to me how a hosted 3D Scene Layer created from an uploaded Scene Layer Package differ from a hosted 3D Scene Layer created by sharing a Multipatch to AGOL from ArcPro?

I understand that when creating a Scene Layer by sharing the Multipatch form ArcPro you also get a Service Definiton file and a Feature Layer, which lets you customize the popup of the Scene Layer in a Web Scene (which is very useful). But other than that, do the two types of Scene Layers differ in any other ways? Perhaps in regards to drawing speed in a WebScene? or in regards to storage size used on AGOL?

Maybe they differ in some other ways I havent thought of?

Is there a preffered way to go about creating a hosted 3D Scene Layer?

I cant seem to find information about this on ESRIs sites, so I am asking you guys on GeoNet. Answers are greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

I think this page might help you out: A guide to SceneLayers | ArcGIS API for JavaScript 4.16 

LMK if you have more questions.

0 Kudos
Erlend_Førde_Schjetne
New Contributor II

Thank you! The guide explains it well.

I assume that getting popup content could be a tad bit slower when its fetched from an asssociated feature layer rather than from the cached attributes.

Other than that it seems like scene layers created using those two methods should be drawn at same the speed and consume the same amount of credits (given the multipatch one has been cached locally before uploading).

Also the last difference i can come up with must be that ArcGIS Pro offers methods for automating the process of creating and sharing individual Scene Layers with only cached attributes to AGOL using ArcPy (Create SLPK & Share Package), while there is no easy way to share SceneLayers with associated Feature Layer individually to AGOL with ArcPy, without sharing an entire webscene and manually editing the Scene layer names. I could be mistaken. 

Please let me know if there are any other differences i've overlooked!

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Some additional notes

- Scene Layer with Associated Feature Layer will have a cache generation credit requirement but then the sizing will be the same and have the same credit charge for storage like the scene layer from SLPK

- Scene Layer from SLPK can also use the replace scene layer and replace an older scene layer with a new one and not impact any downtime for web scenes or apps that leverage that original layer.

- Scene Layer with Associated Feature Layers can support editing features and only rebuilding just the edited features instead of the entire layer = faster cache regeneration times.