AnsweredAssumed Answered

How Can I Tell Where a Vector Intersects the Ground?

Question asked by rbever3 on Jul 23, 2020
Latest reply on Aug 4, 2020 by rbever3

A pretty common scenario for me is to have an aircraft where I have an azimuth and elevation from the aircraft, and I'd like to know where the vector originating at the aircraft and proceeding along the given az/el would intersect the ground. For example, let's say it's a camera, I'd like to know the MapPoint where the center of its view hits the ground. Similar to how a viewshed works, but I want to know in code where that center point is.

I can query the elevation of several points around where the vector might intersect, but it would be better if the engine could tell me where the intersection point would be. Obviously given the way viewsheds work, the engine can do this calculation. However, I'm not clear on how I could request the intersection point of a vector with the ground.

Is there a way to query this? I'd like to give a point in space, then give an az/el or RPY or even quaternions if necessary representing where the view/beam is going, and get a MapPoint representing where the intersection of that point would be with the ground.

Is there a tool that can give me the intersection point? If I were to configure a viewshed with my parameters, is there a way to know where the center point of its view is? I'd really like to be able to do this because it's a common case for me and it would have many applications. Thanks.

Outcomes