Append data AND Attachments to new Survey123 survey feature service

07-17-2020 12:01 PM
LeonardBarnhill
Occasional Contributor

Good afternoon, After following the guidance provided in the document How To: Append data to a Survey123 for ArcGIS survey from existing survey with related tables ... twice... the individual rows of data are added but no attachments are included.  I downloaded from two existing surveys, merged in ArcGIS Pro, disabled editor tracking in both the geodatabase and in the feature service, zipped the file geodatabase, and ran the append but no attachments.

Is there a newer process than the one referenced that works?

Assistance needed today if possible!

Leonard

0 Kudos
13 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Leonard,

Just to confirm, you are using the Append Geoprocesing tool?  Have you checked that the 'Maintain Attachments' environment parameter is enabled?

0 Kudos
LeonardBarnhill
Occasional Contributor

I managed to get the data merged and published but now the report does not print the images. I tried the report template with a different survey and the template seems to be fine. There is still a problem with the survey as I try to print PDF or DOC formatted reports from the Survey123 beta website. I do not think it is a beta website issue but more likely related to the survey. This is a link to the survey on the beta website:

https://survey123beta.arcgis.com/surveys/c6e92f9382234c2a81c0c8f2a2e2b705/data

Let me know what else I can do to help you resolve this reporting problem.

Leonard

Leonard

Barnhill, GISP

​GBA

9801 Renner Boulevard|Lenexa, KS 66219-9745

P (913) 577-8469

www.gbateam.com | LinkedIn | Facebook | Twitter

​CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message including attachments, if any, is intended for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message. Thank you.

0 Kudos
LeonardBarnhill
Occasional Contributor

More details:  The Survey123 form was created in version 3.10.231.  Two feature services were downloaded and merged into a new FGDB using ArcGIS Pro.  Checking the FGDB with Pro, the images were still attached and a relationship table existed in the FGDB.  This was zipped and sent to ArcGIS Online.  I opened the FGDB and published.  Opening the web map, I was able to select any point and the popup displayed the proper images.  I copies the URL for the feature service into the settings tab of the  XLSForm supporting the Survey123 form created last week.  I published the survey creating a new folder with the form and a new web map.  I opened the web map in the map viewer (beta) and was able to see images related to each point I selected.  I opened the Surver123 beta website and the Wildwood survey once again checking that images are still attached. I uploaded the report template, selected one feature and created a sample report.  I get a two page report but the second page is blank where images should be.  I open the template in an older version of the same data - the report displays the images as expected.  

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Leonard,

The issue with the images no longer printing in a report is expected; support for attachment keywords (what Survey123 uses to associate an image with a given question) is coming with ArcGIS Pro 2.6.

0 Kudos
LeonardBarnhill
Occasional Contributor

So, the problem occurred because I began using Survey123 Connect #.10.231?  Or Survey123 Beta Website?  I need to print these reports - what do I need to downgrade to get these reports to print with images?

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Leonard,

The issue is that many parts of the ArcGIS system are only getting support for keyword attachments (the feature that allows Survey123 to associate an image with a question) in their next releases.  As a workaround, per Feature report templates—Survey123 for ArcGIS | Documentation , you can have a section that bulk exports the images by placing the following into the report:

${#$attachment}

${$file}

${/}

0 Kudos
LeonardBarnhill
Occasional Contributor

With this method, is there any way to control the size of the image? I tried ${#$attachment | size: 540:0} and get an error. I tried ${$file | size: 540:0}}, I got an error. I see no way to indicate size on a separate line. Suggestions?

Leonard

Barnhill, GISP

​GBA

P (913) 577-8469

​CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message including attachments, if any, is intended for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message. Thank you.

0 Kudos
LeonardBarnhill
Occasional Contributor

I see the error in the ${$file | size: 540:0} statement, fixed it, and the report now print with images the correct size. Problem solved for now …

Thanks for your assist.

Leonard

Barnhill, GISP

​GBA

P (913) 577-8469

0 Kudos
MichaelBlakely
New Contributor

James Tedrick‌ - Did the attachment keyword functionality make it into Pro 2.6 (or 2.6.1)?

I've attempted to copy append the contents of a previous survey into a newly published variation of the same survey with Pro 2.6.1 using Append GP tool. I am experiencing the same problems as Leonard - the photos copy over OK but the feature reporting doesn't recognise them as being photo1, photo2 as they are in the survey.

The workaround for bulk exporting the images is OK but I'd really like to present each photo with it's caption in the feature report.