Is there a way to easily export a selection from multiple layers into multiple shapefiles?

Jump to solution
07-16-2020 08:21 AM
MatthewBeal
Occasional Contributor III

I have been given a request to export ALL GIS features that we have for a certain geographic area only. We have quite a lot of layers, so I would like to find a quicker way to do this short of exporting each layer one at a time. Does anyone know of a tool that will let you batch export selected features to a new shapefile using the same name as the input feature classes?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

One quick and easy way is to run the Feature Class to Shapefle in Batch mode.  To do this, search for Feature Class to Shapefile.  Right-click and select "batch."  From there, fill out the Input Parameters for your series of shapefiles (in my case in the Map View with selections).  Then identify the Batch Output folder you wish the selected records to go to (in my case, a test folder under my c:/temp directory).  Voila!  Same name as the original shapefiles.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

with a script - arcpy.listLayers(mxd) then copy etc or the Clip and Ship tool.

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

One quick and easy way is to run the Feature Class to Shapefle in Batch mode.  To do this, search for Feature Class to Shapefile.  Right-click and select "batch."  From there, fill out the Input Parameters for your series of shapefiles (in my case in the Map View with selections).  Then identify the Batch Output folder you wish the selected records to go to (in my case, a test folder under my c:/temp directory).  Voila!  Same name as the original shapefiles.

MatthewBeal
Occasional Contributor III

I have no idea that how this solution slipped by me! I ended up finding a second way to accomplish this as well using the "Extract" tool in ArcGIS Desktop. This way seems a bit more straightforward, so I will use it next time. Thank you!

0 Kudos
StevenNicholl1
New Contributor

Thank you this is was very helpful, 500 layers needed to be converted and you saved me so much time, and carpal tunnel 

0 Kudos