JakeAKTransport

Restricting ArcMap Functionality

Discussion created by JakeAKTransport on Apr 5, 2011
Latest reply on May 10, 2011 by nikhil_sastikar
Hi All

As part of a deployment project were currently working on were required to deploy GIS in a not centralised fashion beyond the typical GIS team set-up. Our organisation has a central GIS Dept but we will also have "satellite" users within our office which will use "hotdesks".
We would like to restrict the functionality available within ArcGIS 9.3.1 so that no ArcToolbox is available and no layer export functionality is available. Basically so all the users can do is add data and create a map using variable symbology for reports etc, but for anything else they come back to the centralised resource.

So far I've found the following:

1) To remove the Arctoolbox
a. Delete entire folder path c:\Program Files\ArcGIS\ArcToolBox\Toolboxes
b. Delete the entire corresponding Registry Key and it parameters: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ESRI\ArcToolbox

2) To remove the Export functionality
a. I've found the Method IExportOperation.ExportFeatureClass, is this the correct one? and secondly where can I remove it from to disallow layers exporting?. I've tried trawling through the ArcID procedures within the Normal.mxt but to no avail and havent found this or anything useful or any pointers on the net on how to remove this function.

Any helpful pointers would be great.

Thanks Jake

Outcomes