AnsweredAssumed Answered

Pro - Create composite locator that uses the same address locator twice

Question asked by ADES_LMurray on Jul 16, 2020
Latest reply on Aug 1, 2020 by jborgion

My agency produces several address files that have address1, address2, city, state, and ZIP code fields.  The address1 field is supposed to have the full street address (i.e. house number, prefix, street name, suffix), such as 1789 W. Jefferson St.  The address2 field is supposed to be for additional information, like apartment or suite numbers.  However, field staff don't always put the street address in the correct field.  Almost every address dataset I receive have most of the street addresses in the address2 field.

In ArcMap, I built a composite address locator that combines various address locators from multiple services, including a point address locator (i.e. the style is US Single House Address).  I was able to the point locator twice to the composite locator so when geocoding an address, on first pass, the address1 field will be used with the city/state/ZIP code fields to try and find a match.  If a match is not found, then the same address is run through the same point locator but uses the address2 field to find a match.  Designing the composite locator this way has really saved me a lot of time and headache cleaning the address data file before geocoding it.

When I tried to create this same locator in ArcGIS Pro, I got an error message that the same locator can't be added twice to the same composite locator.  I tried asking someone at the ESRI UC about this and the suggestion was to rebuild the individual address locators so they can accept multiple address fields.  However, the address locators I use are from third-parties and I can't redesign them.  For now, I've been continuing to use ArcMap for any geocoding I need to do.

Is there a workaround to this?  Or is this something I need to submit as an idea?

Outcomes