Understanding geodatabase and the server

Jump to solution
07-09-2020 12:50 PM
johnmarker
New Contributor III

Hello,

I have been trying to read up on the geo database and the server. I have a simple program that adds some points, indicating location,  to a map. My understanding is that I would add a feature layer onto the map and that layer would contain the plotted points. I read from Add features (feature service) | ArcGIS for Developers that

"A Feature is added to a ServiceFeatureTable which then pushes that new feature to the server."

So my features that I add to a map will be pushed onto the server? Say these locations are supposed to be private. What are the measures taken to on the server side, so they can't be accessed? Is there a way to save the points locally?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JamesBallard1
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi john marker‌, thanks for the question.

There are a few ways you can do this workflow. One way is with online services, or "Feature Services" as that sample demonstrates.  In that workflow any features you add to the service and push up to the service will be available on the service, but you can control who has access a few different ways. One way is with Ownership Based Access Control:

OwnershipBasedAccessControlInfo QML Type | ArcGIS for Developers 

Documentation for ArcGIS Enterprise 

But if you are more concerned about keeping this information private, it can be stored in a feature service that is password protected. The ServiceFeatureTable class can access secured service that require credentials.

An important distinction to be aware of is that a FeatureLayer will visualize any FeatureTable data, and there are a few options. The method showcased in that sample is using a ServiceFeatureTable; an online service.

A FeatureLayer can also visualize data from a Geodatabase via a GeodatabaseFeatureTable, in which case all data would be stored offline and never pushed to any online service.

>So my features that I add to a map will be pushed onto the server? Say these locations are supposed to be private. What are the measures taken to on the server side, so they can't be accessed?

A secured feature service would be an option, see above.

>Is there a way to save the points locally?

Yes, with using a GeodatabaseFeatureTable.

FeatureLayer QML Type | ArcGIS for Developers 

GeodatabaseFeatureTable QML Type | ArcGIS for Developers 

Here is a sample that shows how to visualize data from an offline Geodatabase.

Feature layer (geodatabase) | ArcGIS for Developers 

View solution in original post

2 Replies
JamesBallard1
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi john marker‌, thanks for the question.

There are a few ways you can do this workflow. One way is with online services, or "Feature Services" as that sample demonstrates.  In that workflow any features you add to the service and push up to the service will be available on the service, but you can control who has access a few different ways. One way is with Ownership Based Access Control:

OwnershipBasedAccessControlInfo QML Type | ArcGIS for Developers 

Documentation for ArcGIS Enterprise 

But if you are more concerned about keeping this information private, it can be stored in a feature service that is password protected. The ServiceFeatureTable class can access secured service that require credentials.

An important distinction to be aware of is that a FeatureLayer will visualize any FeatureTable data, and there are a few options. The method showcased in that sample is using a ServiceFeatureTable; an online service.

A FeatureLayer can also visualize data from a Geodatabase via a GeodatabaseFeatureTable, in which case all data would be stored offline and never pushed to any online service.

>So my features that I add to a map will be pushed onto the server? Say these locations are supposed to be private. What are the measures taken to on the server side, so they can't be accessed?

A secured feature service would be an option, see above.

>Is there a way to save the points locally?

Yes, with using a GeodatabaseFeatureTable.

FeatureLayer QML Type | ArcGIS for Developers 

GeodatabaseFeatureTable QML Type | ArcGIS for Developers 

Here is a sample that shows how to visualize data from an offline Geodatabase.

Feature layer (geodatabase) | ArcGIS for Developers 

johnmarker
New Contributor III

That was very helpful, thanks!