Hello everyone, I'm new to GIS technology but very much interested so much so that within a short span of time time I have learnt Geopandas, Geocoder, Proximity Analysis, Folium, ArcGIS basics and ArcGIS online basics. Bur I'm still confused as to how sha

07-09-2020 05:16 PM
Ritik_PrakashNayak
New Contributor II

Hello everyone, I'm new to GIS technology but very much interested so much so that within a short span of time time I have learnt Geopandas, Geocoder, Proximity Analysis, Folium, ArcGIS basics and ArcGIS online basics. Bur I'm still confused as to how shall I structurally start learning it, because I have no prior experience, kindly help me in explaining how to start learning the technology. It would be of great help. 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ShaneMiles
Esri Contributor

Hi Ritik Prakash Nayak‌, 

That's excellent you have adopted the technology so easily. Its definitely an area many people are passionate about. To help with tailoring an answer, can you give a little context on what you have been using the technology for and what you would like to achieve with it? An example of this would be are you using it to answer spatial questions for a large organisation? There are many useful areas and courses that you could start with, a little more context would assist in structuring this to a tailored approach. 

Shane 

0 Kudos
Ritik_PrakashNayak
New Contributor II

Hello Shane,

I have been using ArcGIS to learn to solve different problems using GIS technology. I use learn ArcGIS account to perform various research analysis. But I do not know what chronology to follow to actually get handy with the tech. As of now, I click on learning blogs and copy them, this way, I explore new things in a makeshift manner (maybe). I also face the following problems:

1. Do not have access to ArcGIS Pro.

2. "Analysis" option doesn't show up on the ArcGIS Online ribbon.

3. Although I have a free 60 days access to learn ArcGIS Organizational Account, I still cannot access ArcGIS Pro and ArcGIS Online Organization. However, it is explicitly mentioned in the email that I received from Esri that I have access.

I'll be grateful if you or anyone can help. 

Regards

Ritik

0 Kudos
ShaneMiles
Esri Contributor

Hi Ritik Prakash Nayak‌, 

Ill try and assist as much as possible. ArcGIS Online is a great introduction to GIS as a first time user and is an incredible tool for the distribution of geospatial information. As your skills develop and you become more familiar with the technology as you have suggested you may want to move to ArcGIS Pro and build on your existing analytical skills. In this way you are able to conduct analysis in many different ways and publish your results to a file or ArcGIS Online. Any tips Ben Turrell‌?

There are a number of reasons the analysis button could be not showing up, see FAQ: Why is the Perform Analysis option missing in ArcGIS Online? for further information on this.  I would get into contact with support in reference to this because it is required that you have an organisational account for analysis in ArcGIS Online to be possible. They may also be able to assist you with access to ArcGIS Pro. 

Shane

If this answer was helpful please mark it as helpful. If this answer solved your question please mark it as the answer to help others who have the same question.

Ritik_PrakashNayak
New Contributor II

Hello Shane,

I found a solution and am having a ball with Learn ArcGIS. I have made a free account for 60 days. Thank you so much for your assistance.

Sore grateful to you!

HeatherSmith
Esri Contributor

Hi Ritik, 

Regarding access to ArcGIS Pro and analysis:

To download ArcGIS Pro, you can follow these instructions

With your Learn ArcGIS account, you should be able to see the analysis options in ArcGIS Online. The fact that you do not suggests to me that you may have multiple accounts. Perhaps you also have a public account and are signed in with it instead. Please  make sure you are signed in with your "_LearnArcGIS" username. If the site will not allow you to sign in with that username, so to https://www.arcgis.com/ and try there instead.

Regarding a learning plan for ArcGIS, I agree with Shane that it is important to know what your end goal is. The learning plan I would recommend to someone who wants to do scientific research is very different from someone who wants to apply GIS to manage resources for a municipality. The first person will never use some of the tools which are very important to the second person and vice versa.

Without knowing too much about your specific goals, I will recommend that you learn ArcGIS Pro using these resources:

Get Started with ArcGIS Pro | Learn ArcGIS  (step-by-step lesson)

ArcGIS Pro Basics (web course)

Learn ArcGIS | Learn ArcGIS (path with a series of learning resources)

Ritik_PrakashNayak
New Contributor II

Hello Heather,

I have made a Learn ArcGIS account. I have access to it already. Thank you so much for your assistance!

Regards