AnsweredAssumed Answered

ArcEnterprise 10.8 Service Definition File Size Limit

Question asked by dcoley on Jul 9, 2020
Latest reply on Sep 17, 2020 by dcoley

Hello - I don't think that this section from the Enterprise help

Manage hosted feature layers—Portal for ArcGIS | Documentation for ArcGIS Enterprise 

at 10.8 is entirely accurate:

"Allow attachments

You can allow editors to attach images and other files to individual features in a layer in a hosted feature layer. This is useful, as it allows you to associate documentation or photos to specific, relevant features. For example, a code compliance officer might attach a photo of the code violation for a specific address point, or a building inspector might include a PDF of a permit for a building feature.

Each hosted feature layer view inherits the attachment setting of the hosted feature layer from which it was created. By default, all view users can see the attachments inherited from the hosted feature layer. To control who has access to these attachments, you can hide the attachments in the hosted feature layer view.

Each file you attach to a feature can be a maximum size of 2 GB. To attach files larger than 2 GB, you can use the Upload Part and Add Attachment operations from ArcGIS REST API to do a multipart upload. . . . . . "

What I have found is that when sharing or overwriting a hosted feature layer via the 2.5.x ArcGIS Pro sharing module to Enterprise 10..8, the maximum service definition file size appears to be 2GB.  

In my case, I have a point layer with some 3600 records and pdf attachments.  The largest attachement is about 9MB.  However, the total size of the service definition file exceeds 2GB, and the sharing module overwrite now fails with a 99999.

Specifically, the:

## arcpy.UploadServiceDefinition_server('C:/ArcProProjects/PortalUpdates/Environmental/' + lyr.name + '.sd', 'My Hosted Services', "","","","","","OVERRIDE_DEFINITION","SHARE_ONLINE","PUBLIC",
## "SHARE_ORGANIZATION","")

fails because I think that the entire sd file size cannot exceed 2GB.

Has anyone encountered this?

Outcomes