On the tabbed story map, how do I create a 2nd line of tabs ala the New Brunswick Loyalist Journeys map?

Jump to solution
07-08-2020 12:06 PM
LynneManring
New Contributor

For instance, with the New Brunswick Loyalist Journeys map as an example, The primary tabs are "Overview" and "York County".  When the viewer clicks on York County, they get another line of tabs under it (in this case each tab is a name).  I'd like to be able to do something very similar, but can't figure out how to do it.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Lynne -- That's done with a little technique we like to call "Story Map Inception." 🙂 You put stories inside stories (like a dream within a dream...). So you create several stories using the Story Map Series template and embed them inside each other.

Please be aware that if you do this, the experience will not be very good for anyone viewing your story on a small screen like a tablet or phone. For this reason, we only recommend doing this if you are using the story for a presentation or if you know that your readers will be using desktops/laptops to view your story.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Lynne -- That's done with a little technique we like to call "Story Map Inception." 🙂 You put stories inside stories (like a dream within a dream...). So you create several stories using the Story Map Series template and embed them inside each other.

Please be aware that if you do this, the experience will not be very good for anyone viewing your story on a small screen like a tablet or phone. For this reason, we only recommend doing this if you are using the story for a presentation or if you know that your readers will be using desktops/laptops to view your story.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
LynneManring
New Contributor

Thanks, Owen. I am still interested in using inception. Where do I find

instructions for how to do it? Alternatively, I've been wondering if a

Short List Story Map template would work, but I have a lot of text and a

lot of chapters. Suggestions?

Lynne

0 Kudos