ArcGIS content refresh in Power BI / licensing /data flow

Jump to solution
07-03-2020 01:56 AM
mucahittimar
New Contributor

Hi all,

I have some questions about ArcGIS Maps for Power BI:

- Did a viewer of organizational ArcGIS content (ArcGIS Online or Enterprise) in Power BI Service needs to be compliant to the following points to interact with this organizational ArcGIS content in Power BI?:

- an ArcGIS Maps for Power BI add-on license

- the relevant privileges in its ArcGIS organization to view this content shared in Power BI

- access to the following services: Geocoding, Network Analysis and GeoEnrichment 

- If an organizational (from ArcGIS Online or Enterprise)  content consumed by Power BI using ArcGIS Maps is refreshed in ArcGIS Online or Enterprise, is this content also refreshed in Power BI or is there any manipulation to do to get this refreshed content in Power BI?

- I was also wondering if the organizational (from ArcGIS Online or Enterprise) content are sent to Microsoft data store when there are in Power BI using ArcGIS Maps for Power BI, or is there only a gateway between ESRI and Power BI to view this content in PowerBI without sending any data to Microsoft?

- Lastly, I was wondering when we will be able to use attribute table of an organizational ArcGIS (from ArcGIS Online or Enterprise) content inside Power BI using ArcGIS Maps for Power BI to use them as data fields in Power BI.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JonEmch
Esri Regular Contributor

Lindsey Brighton

Thank you for reaching out!

I will preface my answer by saying that every organization agreement is different at Esri. On the surface level, yes the license costs $60 per this link, but depending on your agreement with us that may be different.

After some digging, it appears that there is no trial version available for the add on license. Since the PowerBI Standard offering comes with the majority of the function of the premium app, it is viewed as the "trial" if you will. The add on license removes some of the limits for geocoding, and it allows you to add data from your ArcGIS Online organization.

That being said, I would encourage for you to reach out to one of our Customer Service Staff who will be able to break down the details of the add on license.

Please let me know if you have any questions!

Keep on keeping on!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JonEmch
Esri Regular Contributor

Good morning mucahit timar‌,

Please find your answers below:

1. It depends on a few factors…

ArcGIS Online: If the user has the Viewer role and the ArcGIS Add On license, then they should be able to utilize the visual in PowerBI

ArcGIS Enterprise: If ArcGIS Enterprise is internally deployed at and you are working with PowerBI Desktop inside the firewall, you should be able to connect and consume its resources. However if you publish the workbook to PowerBI Online the visual will no longer work.

External ArcGIS Enterprise will work with PowerBI Desktop and PowerBI Online.

2.  A reference layer will be freshly loaded every time the visual is updated (like when opening a report). Once loaded, ArcGIS Maps for PowerBI will not update the layer if it is being changed by an arcade script or fed by GeoEvent.

3. Scott Ball addressed this in an excellent post found here: FAQ – Data Security in ArcGIS Maps for PowerBI. In this post we find this question:

Q: There are data going to and from the ArcGIS site.  I am assuming this is just address data for mapping purposes only. The question is what data is sent between Power BI and ArcGIS? And is this data being stored by ArcGIS?

A: Correct, only the data needed to geocode the address (ie, fields placed in the Location field well) are passed to Esri servers. These data are only used to generate the information used to place the locations on the map and they are not stored by Esri servers.

To our knowledge, no data is sent to Microsoft, but you should be able to find more info here: Interact with ArcGIS maps in Power BI

4.        At this point in time, there are no listed ways of pulling tabular data from REST into PowerBI Desktop or Online. However, there is an enhancement in the works to address this:

ENH-000131441: Develop a way to import ArcGIS REST based services and tables into PowerBI. In order to improve the strength of this enhancement, feel free to log a case in order for me to attach your account to it.

I hope this helps!

Keep on keeping on!
LindseyBrighton1
New Contributor

Hi Jon,

My organization has ArcGIS Online and multiple Add-on Licenses (ArcGIS Pro / Advanced, ArcGIS Tracker, ArcGIS Insights). I read your reply about 'ArcGIS MAPS for Power BI' as an Add-on.
- Just to confirm, Add-on license 'ArcGIS MAPS for Power BI' costs $5/- per month?
- Is a TRIAL version available, before the Add-on license for 'ArcGIS for Power BI', is purchased?

Thanks in advance.

JonEmch
Esri Regular Contributor

Lindsey Brighton

Thank you for reaching out!

I will preface my answer by saying that every organization agreement is different at Esri. On the surface level, yes the license costs $60 per this link, but depending on your agreement with us that may be different.

After some digging, it appears that there is no trial version available for the add on license. Since the PowerBI Standard offering comes with the majority of the function of the premium app, it is viewed as the "trial" if you will. The add on license removes some of the limits for geocoding, and it allows you to add data from your ArcGIS Online organization.

That being said, I would encourage for you to reach out to one of our Customer Service Staff who will be able to break down the details of the add on license.

Please let me know if you have any questions!

Keep on keeping on!
0 Kudos
ryanstout
New Contributor

how can i log a case to add ENH-000131441: Develop a way to import ArcGIS REST based services and tables into PowerBI.

0 Kudos