Story Map only saying "Story is initializing Thanks for waiting"

Jump to solution
07-01-2020 08:17 AM
deleted-user-G6wNS5_BZkU9
New Contributor

We recently finished a story map found here - http://tnc.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapSeries/index.html?appid=d709594335ff48389171e2745a0b057c

It worked in the months prior to today but as soon as we set it to public, it returned "Story is initializing Thanks for waiting" while endlessly loading. We've tried several browsers, computers and no luck. Does anyone know why it is doing this? Any insight into what is happening would be helpful as I can't even edit it.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Mitch -- Sorry you're seeing issues with your story not loading. There was a system update last night and we're looking into the cause of this. Other Map Series stories are loading as expected, so it might be an issue related to a specific piece of media or content in your story.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

12 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Mitch -- Sorry you're seeing issues with your story not loading. There was a system update last night and we're looking into the cause of this. Other Map Series stories are loading as expected, so it might be an issue related to a specific piece of media or content in your story.

Owen Evans
JeremyMack_LU
New Contributor III

Hi Owen. We also have users within our organization (Lehigh University) that are experiencing the same issue with Map Series stories. Examples include:
https://lu.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapSeries/index.html?appid=ed38581aaa6e4c5a935f70c2402cde82 
https://lu.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapSeries/index.html?appid=244240e862724e15b8c1ea85fcacf9bd 
Thanks.

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

We've narrowed this down to an issue with web pages in the media panel that use the embed code option (rather than URL). We're working on getting a fix out for this in a patch early next week. I apologize this is affecting your stories.

Owen Evans
PeterGoedbloed
New Contributor III

Hi all, a customer of ours had the same issue and he discoverd that it had to do with a Youtube link that was embedded as an Iframe. He removed that part with the JSON Editor in the AGO-Assistant and was able to repair his Storymap accordingly. I'll ask him to check this post if more details are required.

JeremyMack_LU
New Contributor III

Thanks, Peter. I recommended #AGO-Assistant to several of our users and they've been able to recreate some of the impacted stories in the new template editor. I'll pass along the YouTube-iFrame suggestion.

0 Kudos
SohrabMikanik
New Contributor III

Hello Owen,

At our company we are experiencing similar issues as well, both with the embed code issue, and the fact that one of our story maps is not loading it just gives the message: "Map Journal is initializing Thanks for waiting".

All of our maps need to be public since we're a public outreach firm so the option of making private is not an option.

Please advise.

0 Kudos
AravindStoryMaps
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello everyone,

Please note that this issue has been fixed. Please reply to this comment to let us know if you're still seeing this issue with the Map Series template. 

Thanks,

Aravind

JeremyMack_LU
New Contributor III

Fixed - thanks, aravind sivasailam‌!

Bryan_Wade
Occasional Contributor

I am running into this issue when I try to embed a story map. Does the story map have to be made public? Currently the story map is only available to our organization. The plan is to make the story map only available to the employee facing side of our website.

0 Kudos