Service failed to start after moving server directories.

Jump to solution
06-29-2020 02:36 PM
JaniceBaird
Occasional Contributor II

Hi All,

I am receiving an error when trying to restart a service in Server Manager after moving my config-store and server directories. The error states that "Service failed to start" and is looking for files in the old directories location.

I am on Windows and at ArcGIS for Server 10.4.1. I originally moved the directories from a local drive to a new VM and joined a second server to my site. Everything was working fine after this move. Now, I got a new file server and would like to move the directories to this new VM. I changed the config-store and server directories using Server Manager and when I login to server admin, the new location is what I see, as well. However, I am unable to get my services to recognize the new location.

I have stopped and restarted the ArcGIS Service on both server machines. I have attempted to stop and start the individual services.

Is there some other hoop I need to jump through to get my services to realize that they can no longer use the old files?

Thanks, Janice.

Here is the message displayed in Server Manager when I try to start the service:

Service failed to start

Assessor.PropertyMapMobile.MapServer:
<SERVER1>.<DOMAIN>.LOCAL
Can not open file \\OLDSERVER\arcgis_server\directories\arcgissystem\arcgisinput\Assessor\PropertyMapMobile.MapServer\.... The network name cannot be found. Probable cause: The file is inaccessible to Server.
<SERVER2>.<DOMAIN>.LOCAL
Can not open file \\OLDSERVER\arcgis_server\directories\arcgissystem\arcgisinput\Assessor\PropertyMapMobile.MapServer\.... The network name cannot be found. Probable cause: The file is inaccessible to Server.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JaniceBaird

I tried again to move the config-store and server directories and this time it worked. The next issue was that the Search Utilities would not start. Looking closer at the problem I found that they were referencing a toolbox on a drive letter from my production ArcGIS server. I found that I could update this in server admin. All is good now!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JaniceBaird

I changed all of my folders back to the first file server and everything is working again... Makes me think I did something wrong when I moved them the first time to the new file server... Or, there is something wrong with the second file server.

Janice.

0 Kudos
JaniceBaird

I tried again to move the config-store and server directories and this time it worked. The next issue was that the Search Utilities would not start. Looking closer at the problem I found that they were referencing a toolbox on a drive letter from my production ArcGIS server. I found that I could update this in server admin. All is good now!

0 Kudos