Query Date in Model Builder with Inline Variable

06-28-2020 10:25 AM
NealBanerjee
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

I have had challenges querying date field (in a file geodatabase) within Model Builder when passing a date value using inline variable substitution.  After some frustration with many attempts,  I figured out a very simple and effective solution that I  thought I would share.  

Situation

• You have a model that gets a date value as input parameter (user entered, from an existing field in feature class, etc.) and store as inline variable (e.g. valDate) 
  • You want to query a date field (e.g. 'CompletionDate') in existing feature class again the date passed by the inline variable date.  For example you want query 'CompletionDate' > valDate in the 'MakeFeatureLayer' tool (see below)
  • You may try a simple syntax as shown below - THIS WILL NOT WORK

Issue

• Even if the valDate inline variable is defined as a 'Date' is is passed as a string, so you would need to include the reference %valDate% in quotes as such '%valDate%'
  • However, that wouldnt fix issue since the date value passed as string is likely to be in mm/dd/yyyy format (e.g. 07/04/2020) but date format for file geodatabase in SQL query is "date '<date> <time>'" (date '2020-07-04)

Solution

• Use the CAST function in your SQL query so that it "casts" (i.e. converts) string being passed from valDate to a Date value.
  • See example below - THIS SHOULD WORK

Hope you find this helpful

Neal

4 Replies
LindsayRaabe_FPCWA
Occasional Contributor III

Thanks - a simple solution to an annoying problem. Worked a treat. 

Lindsay Raabe
GIS Officer
Forest Products Commission WA
0 Kudos
aaronkrusniak
New Contributor II

This saved me some major headaches.  Thanks so much for sharing!!

Aaron Krusniak
Chicago Department of Public Health

BrendanFordDC
New Contributor II

This did the trick.  Thanks for sharing.  Will come in handy many times over.

Psoralea
New Contributor II

Thanks you so much for this Neal, really made my morning!

0 Kudos