Difficulties Reconciling a Version (Branch Versioning)

Jump to solution
06-26-2020 07:21 PM
Labels (1)
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

We use the arcgis pro parcel fabric (v2) in my department. We publish the fabric as a service which we collectively edit using branch versioning‌. If it's relevant, our data is on an amazon postgresql rds, and our portal is at v 10.8.

Occasionally, I will get the following message when attempting to reconcile and post a version.

I have tried to reconcile my version from the Versioning menu in the ribbon, from the Manage Versions view, and using the Reconcile Versions geoprocessing tool.

From the ribbon, the message The server took too long to answer. The client has timed out. (status code 28) is returned.

In the versions screen and the GP tool, I get the message WARNING 000084: Conflicts detected, aborting the reconcile.

Unfortunately, despite this message about conflicts, the Conflict Manager does not become available to review and address them.

I suspect it has to do with number of edits that have been made in my version. The edits are for a large subdivision, however, and I would like to keep the entirety of it in a single version rather than reconcile and post it in batches. Has anyone else encountered this issue?

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AmirBar-Maor
Esri Regular Contributor

Currently Reconcile is a 'synchronous operation' - that means that the client (ArcGIS Pro) waits for an answer from the server that has a timeout setting. Since reconcile takes too long the server times out.

Beyond improving the general performance of your DBMS and your server, you can increase the timeout from 60 seconds to 600 seconds (10 minutes)

FYI - Colin Zwicker‌, Nana Dei‌, Melissa Jarman

View solution in original post

16 Replies
JustinMuise
Esri Contributor

Hi Josh,

How long is the reconcile operation running for? Can you also provide some information on the settings you are using with the Reconcile GP tool? More specifically, do you have the option to "Abort if Conflicted Detected" checked?

Thanks!
Justin

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Justin,

I've tried running the GP tool with all possible combinations of options, with no success.

I do believe it was the quantity of edits that caused this issue. In the same location I was editing, there is an Incorporated Area, which is one of the parcel types in our fabric. We've yet to break these features up into the individual annexations that they are comprised of, so each feature is very large and complex. By adjusting some fabric points which connected to the boundary of an underlying Incorporated Area, it adds 1000+ updates to the Incorporated Areas Lines layer in Version Changes. If I edit in such a way as to avoid modifying these features, reconciling and posting works as expected.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
AmirBar-Maor
Esri Regular Contributor

Currently Reconcile is a 'synchronous operation' - that means that the client (ArcGIS Pro) waits for an answer from the server that has a timeout setting. Since reconcile takes too long the server times out.

Beyond improving the general performance of your DBMS and your server, you can increase the timeout from 60 seconds to 600 seconds (10 minutes)

FYI - Colin Zwicker‌, Nana Dei‌, Melissa Jarman

MichaelSnook
Occasional Contributor III

Hi all,

We are also starting to run into some issues regarding the branch-versioned fabric reconcile/post process.  There are certain times that it works fine, typically it seems to be when there are only and handful of edits.  But eventually it seems like process runs into issues and I get this error:

WARNING 000533: The version cannot be posted to the reconcile version. Reconcile must be performed before the post operation has been done.

I've tried running just a reconcile process both in Pro and via Python with little success.  In Pro, it will just grind for a while then Pro will crash. Using python it seems to just keep running with no end.

This issue eventually requires me to delete my version, thus losing any edits.

Looking of the warning number description in the help docs isn't all that helpful either -- it basically says 'try again'.

Any help would be great!!

Thanks,
Mike

0 Kudos
LarryYoung
Esri Contributor

Hi Mike,

Sorry you are running into issues.  The timeout problem mentioned at the beginning of this thread is one we have encountered before with solutions/workarounds including the one that Amir outlines for increasing the time out.

Pro should never crash, though, so for that alone we would ask that you enter an issue with support.  They will presumably need to get a copy of your database and some information on which version(s) you have tried to reconcile/post without success.

We are always working on improving the performance of all aspects of the software including rec/post.  It should be possible to reconcile and post a version with a 1000+ edits, so would be important for us to see what is going on in your case.

Thanks, larry

0 Kudos
MichaelSnook

Thanks Larry,

I am putting in a ticket today…I’ve been too swamped to deal with it until now.  I have continually received the same error message when using Python to reconcile the versions.  I then attempt to use Pro to complete the reconcile process and it *seems* to reconcile fine, but then the Post process seems to hang and then eventually crash Pro.  After that, the version and database seems to be locked tight until I stop the service, then manually disconnect users via the Pro Catalog connection properties.

BTW – I did increase the service timeout time from 10 minutes, then to 30, and now it’s at 1 hour.

Mike

0 Kudos
MichaelSnook

Another strange thing I've noticed is that when editing/reconcile/posting 100k + dirty areas are being generated during the process.  Could this be causing the lag in the process?  Do you have any insights as to why there are so many being generated?  Also, there seems to be a LOT of the same geometry areas.

0 Kudos
LarryYoung
Esri Contributor

Hi Mike,

Do you have an incident number for the issue?

Thanks, larry

0 Kudos
MichaelSnook

I do --- #02661955 

Mike

0 Kudos