ArcPro - How to jump time gaps on time slider?

Jump to solution
06-13-2020 04:07 PM
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

All,

I am experimenting with time enabled data in ArcPro. I have converted 3 GPX files into 3 point FeatureClasses, they represent 3 cycle rides over a 5 day period, each GPX was approximately 1 hours worth of cycling.

I have enabled time on each of the layers and playing around with the slider I can make the points appear over time.  The problem is that as there are 2 days between each cycle ride so the total time extent of the slider is 5 days as shown below. I highlight the 3 time periods on the slider.

As you can see most of the time slider is "nothing", i.e. no data for those time periods between the 3 featureclasses.

My question is: how do you make one time animation occur immediately after the other, without waiting for 2 days to pass before the next featureclass begins to show up on the map? Is this even possible? I essentially want to skip over the time gaps and play each animation immediately after the previous.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

Tom,

I thought you had nailed it but on further exploration of setting end time it did not work as I wanted, the slider still steps over 2-3 days of time when there is no data. I have been able to achieve the animation effect I wanted by using the range property. I have achieved the effect I was looking for by adding to each point feature class a new numeric field and set that to be an ever increasing number which continues with each featureclass (required a little python coding). At this point I guess have abandoned the concept of "time".

Here is a low-res sample of what I achieved:

Sample animation

Been playing around with that fire fly style created by John Nelson with a transparency so regular routes glow brighter.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RickeyFight
MVP Regular Contributor

Duncan Hornby

Have you thought about using a Range instead of the time slider? 

DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

Rickey,

Funny you should mention that I have just been looking at it! But what I have done is merge all the point feature classes into a single point feature class and create a numeric sequential field and hooked it into that range slider.

Still experimenting.

Duncan

0 Kudos
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Duncan, 

The following help topic might help you out with this question - Irregularly spaced temporal data—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation .

Hope this helps, 

Tom

0 Kudos
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

Tom,

I thought you had nailed it but on further exploration of setting end time it did not work as I wanted, the slider still steps over 2-3 days of time when there is no data. I have been able to achieve the animation effect I wanted by using the range property. I have achieved the effect I was looking for by adding to each point feature class a new numeric field and set that to be an ever increasing number which continues with each featureclass (required a little python coding). At this point I guess have abandoned the concept of "time".

Here is a low-res sample of what I achieved:

Sample animation

Been playing around with that fire fly style created by John Nelson with a transparency so regular routes glow brighter.

0 Kudos