Arcmap editing environment - 10.x - Edited workspace

06-12-2020 12:38 PM
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Hi all,

Say I have multiple features from the same workspace in my TOC (lets say the features are from the same .sde or FGDB and not separated by feature datasets etc, just sat in the same root). I say .sde or FGDB as I would like to be elucidated on both if possible!

I right click -> edit features -> start editing , although this is the same as using the edit toolbar and editing a workspace.

Say I have a large number of features within my TOC belonging to that workspace, which have now become editable - I'm guessing that's not good for performance? Even if I deselect their visibility I could still open their attribute tables and edit them etc.

Am I missing something big, or must I completely remove the other workspace features from the TOC to improve performance when editing a feature from that workspace?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

buuuump

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Are you currently getting poor performance editing features in both a file geodatabase environment and an SDE environment?  Is the file geodatabase local or on a network share?

If so, did you ever get decent performance in either environment?

If so, do you know of any changes that were made to either environment?

0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Thanks Michael

Editing for the features is said to be very slow for both SDE and FGDB and shapefiles (FGDB and Shapefile on various Network Shares). 

I'm new to the current Organisation and only been working-from-home so unfortunately can't give any good feel for the pervious performance, although some users have indicated their was a large drop-off near the start of the year (though we have as-yet been unable to narrow-down any root causes)

The bulk (if-not all) of users are now connecting to the Network via VPN which is hardly going to improve performance (slow editing and data access was highlighted before working-from-home).

No smoking gun has been found unfortunately.

I guess another question is why does an entire workspace become editable when you might only want to edit one feature out of 100? Surely making those other 99 (could be more) editable and locking them out is not going to be good for performance.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

What kind of ArcMap licensing are you using in the VPN environment?  I ask because most GIS users are using remote desktop back to their office workstations with concurrent licensing, since the License Manager is currently inaccessible through the VPN.  The limited testing that has been done strictly with the VPN and standalone GIS licenses has not been promising as SDE access has been problematic and when available it has very poor performance.

0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Hi Michael,

We're on fat client home laptops, connecting via NetMotion VPN, ArcGIS is using concurrent licensing which I believe is enabled through FlexNet to a licensing server, no-one is using RDP as far as I know except for server connections.  This networking side of things is definitely a weakness of mine.

0 Kudos