Possible M4CC bug unhides layers

06-11-2020 11:28 AM
CarolZuber-Mallison
New Contributor II

Hey, Adobe:

Longtime user running both AI on Mac and Arc GIS on Windows. I'm 20 minutes in to trying to use the new M4CC and I think I found a bad bug. Here's a detail of my workflow:

--I built a 1-layer map layer in the M4CC extension using the VectorStreetMap layer that is included in the "Maps for Creative Cloud" (awesome layer!). And I downloaded that one layer to my AI artboard.

--I go in and turn off the visibility of the layers I don't need using the eye toggle on the layer. Labels, off; Borders, off; etc.

--I go back to my map on my AI board and start to work. I grab a few things and temporarily hide them away using Command-3.

--The bug: When I come back and do a Show All with Option-Command-3, it not only unhides my temporarily hidden items, it untoggles ALL my non-visible layers. The "Show All" option under the Objects menu is turning into a "Show All Layers" command. Those should remain two different functions and this is obviously a big disruption to work flow.

And I went in and checked and that bug is ONLY happening on files where I'm using the M4CC extension. It's not happening on my purely-AI files where I have not run M4CC.

If you need more information, feel free to me.

Carol

carol@zmgraphics.com

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
SarahBell
Esri Contributor

Hi Carol. Thanks for reaching out with your question about toggling visibility. The M4cc-generated files will not have an impact on Illustrator commands and shortcuts. The 'Show All' command for Illustrator will result in showing all objects that have previously been hidden. Here is that company's documentation for that feature's functionality. It looks like what you will want to use for your desired results is the "hamburger" menu (three horizontal lines menu) from the Illustrator Layers panel, and select "Show All Layers" from that list. For that option to appear, at least one layer's visibility will need to be toggled off. Hope this helps!

-Sarah

0 Kudos
CarolZuber-Mallison
New Contributor II

Sarah: Read my message again carefully. I’ve been a hard-core Illustrator user for 35+ years so what you are telling me is absolutely correct, what I’m saying is it doesn’t work if M4CC is present. The Show All and Show All Layers functions have somehow gotten twisted together in M4CC. There is NO WAY to do the Show All without all the layers popping to life!! It only happens in M4CC-related AI documents. If I don’t use the M4CC extension, those two things operate exactly as you described. But when I have M4CC operating, the Show All somehow trips the Show All Layers.

Very very disruptive to work flow. Makes M4CC almost unusable to me.

BTW: Great webinar yesterday!! That's what got me to try M4CC again today.

0 Kudos
CarolZuber-Mallison
New Contributor II

Another bit of info for your debuggers: When I take my map layers and cut/paste them into an all-new AI document, the Show All/Show All Layers commands work as they should. Somehow the use of the M4CC extension is linking the Show All/Show All Layers commands.

0 Kudos
SarahBell
Esri Contributor

Hi Carol. Yes, great question, and I read through carefully  I work from a PC, and both of those commands work appropriately on a PC with the VectorStreetMap layer. Perhaps there is something happening in the mac version that we need to identify. We will look into it. Thanks for sharing your contact information too! We'll get back to you there as well, but also post here for all readers who may encounter this. Thanks for coming to the webinar too! Anna and I had a fun time doing it! 

0 Kudos
SarahBell
Esri Contributor

Hi Carol Zuber-Mallison It was great chatting with you, and seeing your gorgeous cartography work! It's always fun to see inspiring work like you're doing. Just following up with the chat for folks reading along. The behavior comes from Adobe (outside of Esri). Adobe Illustrator's show-all command will show all artwork in layers where the parent layer is still visible. Our Maps for Adobe team is reaching out to Adobe to identify when they introduced this behavior. For those hoping to perform the show all action in AI while keeping individual objects hidden, be sure to hide the parent layers.