Is it possible to save an Excel file with map errors?

Jump to solution
06-10-2020 05:24 AM
SarahHartholt
Occasional Contributor III

I have an excel workbook with a sheet of values formatted as a table. I use the Add a Custom Location Type in ArcGIS Maps for Office to join my excel data to an ArcGIS Online polygon layer. 40 of my joins fail because my polygon layer is currently missing some features (320 rows in my excel table vs 280 features in my polygon layer). When I attempt to save my excel workbook the document crashes and the map that I have added fails to save. Is it possible to save my map & workbook with errors? Why do the errors need to be resolved? I would like the excel sheet to be a work in progress with the ability to update the polygon layer with new features as they become available.

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JonEmch
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Sarah,

Very curious! Would you be able to scrub the dataset and send it my way? I would like to see if there are any outstanding issues with it. Also are you using the latest version of Maps for Office?

Keep on keeping on!

View solution in original post

4 Replies
JonEmch
Esri Regular Contributor

Sarah Hartholt

Thank you for reaching out! You should be able to save with errors occurring, the fact that it is crashing Office may mean that there are bigger issues at play here. If you attempt this workflow with a smaller subset of the data, do you notice any changes?

Jon

Keep on keeping on!
0 Kudos
SarahHartholt

Hi Jon,

I removed some of the rows from the excel sheet and added the missing polygons so I no longer have this issue. I was able to save the document if I hid the rows in the excel sheet that were identified as errors in the map but unhiding them and trying to save again would result in a crash.

JonEmch
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Sarah,

Very curious! Would you be able to scrub the dataset and send it my way? I would like to see if there are any outstanding issues with it. Also are you using the latest version of Maps for Office?

Keep on keeping on!
SarahHartholt

Hi Jon,

I don't seem to be running into my original issue anymore. I've made changes to and saved over my original polygon layer, made quite a few changes to the original excel sheet and re-established the connection to the polygon layer so I can't seem to reproduce the original issue.

I'm not on the most current version of Maps for Office - I think I'm one release behind.