How best to deal with large feature layers

06-04-2020 06:33 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm currently working on getting data from a massive trail feature layer to map on an iOS app. In order to display the individual trails in different colors I thought to use the #iOS SDK filter functions to filter the data for each trails and display the filtered trail data as a different feature layer. The trail layer is massive so I see that this is taking the iOS app a sec to display the data. How do I do this filtering work remotely? Can I create new feature layers on arcgis from other layers remotely? Can this be done on a #ASP.NET Core webapp? Also generally what's the best way to deal with large data sets on mobile apps.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
PaulBrandt
New Contributor III

You haven't really explained the functional purpose of the app you are building. If you could do that, it would allow the community to give you better more specific suggestions. That being said, I'll take a stab at not directly answering the question you are asking. (Sorry I'm a data architect it's what I do.)  Would it be possible to change the flow of the app so that the service doesn't have to return all of the data to your app? Maybe the default view could use the device location to show a map of just the trails that are in the area. Another a way might be to not show a map as the first page of the app, but to provide a search for individual trails, or states/counties to show a handful of trails at a time.

0 Kudos