AnsweredAssumed Answered

ArcGIS Pro Model Geoprocessing Slows Over Time

Question asked by weilnich on Jun 4, 2020
Latest reply on Jun 8, 2020 by George_Thompson-esristaff

I am trying to make the switch to ArcGIS Pro (2.5.1) and am encountering what seem like very slow geoprocessing times. I built a very simple model that iterates through a feature dataset of ~900 feature classes (1 polygon in each) and buffers each one. The new feature class is written to another feature dataset in the same geodatabase.

When I kicked off this process, the iterate was taking ~6 seconds and the buffer took ~12. The process has been running for about 21 hours now and gotten through 600 feature classes, however the geoprocessing time has increased significantly. The iterate has stayed consistent, but the buffer operation now takes ~33 seconds!

I know there are faster ways to do this; my computer is a bit older (i7-6700 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 64 bit) and the data are stored across the network.

Overall, geoprocessing has seemed noticeably slow in Pro compared to similar operations in ArcMap. I haven't gotten to benchmark these tasks in ArcMap and don't have time to open a support ticket right now.

This post is not about bashing Pro, I'm just wondering if others have experienced this and what can be done to avoid it?

Outcomes