Best approach for simulating flooding due to beaver dam construction?

06-03-2020 10:16 AM
Labels (1)
DevinHock
New Contributor II

I am investigating the potential impacts of beaver activity on an urban watershed by predict where flooding induced by beaver activity may impact infrastructure. I intend to simulate the placement of beaver dams in the streams at random points at as many points as possible to determine where inundation from a potential beaver dam will come into contact with infrastructure. As a novice ESRI/ArcMap user I am unsure of where to start once I have the DEMs and watershed mapped out. 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Interesting question. Most gis applications to inundation are focused downstream in the event if a dam breach whereas you are looking at upstream impoundment.

Off hand, at least two factors would need to be considered:  stream in flow and height of the beaver dam.  You'd then need to calculate the volume of the ''reservoir' while considering the surface area and where the low spot is in your terrain relative to the height of the dam.  (There may be other parameters to examine as well.)

Just remember that the structural integrity of the structure is only known by the engineer/builder and they won't share that information with you!  In other words, a failure could occur way before much water has been impounded.

That should just about do it....
DevinHock
New Contributor II

Hi Joe, thank you for your insights. For the purposes of my project, I am likely to assume that each dam will be structurally sound (the whole point is to figure out what impact a long-term dam-build will have on upstream water levels). I imagine the process in ArcMap would involve simulating a rise in water level equal to the dam height and calculating the volume of the reservoir the fills up behind it, correct? I am unsure how to go about that.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

There are lots of resources out there.  The approach will depend on the software you have and what you are willing to tackle.  Generally a 3rd party package is recommended as indicated by Jayanta's post in this thread

https://community.esri.com/thread/181628-how-to-do-flood-hazard-modeling-for-river-flash-floods-base... 

... sort of retired...
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I am unsure how to go about that.  Therein lies the challenge in the work we do...

Dan Patterson‌; do those resource links in the other post work for you? They didn't for me...

DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Joe ...‌ just check Janata's links and all is good.

Edge browser, windows 10 on my shiny new Surface Book 3

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Dan Patterson; Chrome browser, ancient android tablet.  You're up late my friend; it's past my bedtime here in MDT: but you retired guys get to sleep in late!  🙂