ArcGIS Online - Dashboard date selector problem

06-01-2020 07:34 AM
MaximeDemers
Occasional Contributor III

I want to create categories based on dates, but the dataset is not filtered correctly when using pre-defined dates range like current week, next week or last week.

For instance, current week does not include feature dated of 5/31/2020 8:00 PM. This feature is filtered in the last week category and those dated of 6/7/2020 8:00 PM are filtered in the current week instead of the next week.

In the doc, its written that the current week start sunday at 12:00 AM.

Date-based filter conditions—ArcGIS Dashboards | Documentation 

<<Week—A week starts at 12:00:00 a.m. on Sunday and continues for 7 consecutive days, ending at 11:59:59 p.m. on the seventh day, which is Saturday.>>

Why the starting week date is not sunday at 12:00 AM in my dashboard?

Tags (1)
4 Replies
MaximeDemers

This is really weird because if I open the dashboard on my mobile device, the dates are filtered correctly.

How dates could be managed differently on desktop and on mobile devices?

0 Kudos
AndreaRyffel1
New Contributor II

Hi Maxime,

According to this doc: https://doc.arcgis.com/en/dashboards/get-started/date-based-filter-conditions.htm 
the first day of the week depends on the calendar on your device, which can be either Sunday or Monday, depending on how your desktop device is set up (many regions across the world, e.g. Europe, start their week on Monday).  

Is it possible that your desktop is set up with Monday-Weeks and your mobile with Sunday-Weeks?

"The first day of the week is determined by the calendar on your device. For example, a week may be Sunday to Saturday or Monday to Sunday." I guess this means that people from across the world see different weeks when checking out the same Dashboard. Thats a fantastic way to add confusion to complex communication!

In addition to the inherent device programming there's also the option to select regional preferences in your AGOL profile. I wonder if and how this may affect Dashboard presentation as well.

Plus, on a different note, date range selection in the Dashboard sideboard does not work for me (I can only select dates in the first field (start date) and have to type them out by hand in the second field (end date). 

Sorry for adding more questions to your question. I hope someone from ESRI will address your issue. This entire "this week", "last week" configuration doesn't look very thought through to me.

MaximeDemers

Hi Andrea,

Thank you very much for your reply. You were absolutely right about the first day of the week difference between my desktop and my mobile device.

However, now I doubt their is a solution to make the date filters working correctly on all platforms for all users. I feel ESRI should not have built the date filters based on a local setting like that.

Thank you again for the info and have a good day!

0 Kudos
AndreaRyffel1
New Contributor II

You're welcome. There's a suggestion to make start days selectable, I linked your question as an example: https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-online-ideas/add-an-option-to-set-the-first-day-of-the-week-in-...

0 Kudos