Difference between Organizational My ESRI and ArcGIS Online Accounts

06-01-2020 12:01 PM
ChrisMatechik
New Contributor

My organizational ArcGIS administrator setup accounts for some of my employees, but he invited them to setup a My ESRI account through my organization rather than an ArcGIS Online account. I am unable to invite the new users to the group I setup for our project and get an error that says they have a different account type. It is my understanding that My ESRI accounts are synonymous with public ArcGIS Online accounts. I suspect that my new users are not actually enrolled in my organizations ArcGIS online system and this seems to be true because I can't look them up in the directory.

Am I understanding the difference between My ESRI and ArcGIS Online correctly? I think the solution is as simple as asking my administrator to setup ArcGIS Online accounts for the new users, rather than my ESRI accounts, but I wanted to confirm this before I reach out. He defaulted into the Admin position even though he doesn't have much time for it, so I like to make sure I know what I'm asking for before I start making requests from him.

Thanks for your help.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
MJBiazar
Esri Contributor

Hi @ChrisMatechik ,

Based on what you explained, it is possible that those users have been invited to your organization's MyEsri with their public accounts. If that's the case, you won't be able to invite them to groups in AGOL and share content with them. Basically, in order to share content with other users in AGOL, they should have the same account type as you (organizational account vs. public account), but they don't necessarily need to be a member of your organization. You are able to invite members to your group from other organization (as long as their account type allows).

In order to do this, you need to invite them as members to your organization in ArcGIS Online. This requires available licenses for each member that you want to add to your org. Once they get invited, they have the option to create a new organizational account, or convert their existing public account to an organization account (while becoming a member in your organization). Once they joined your org in AGOL (and not just MyEsri) you should be able to add them to your groups as members. 

The post linked below explains more differences between MyEsri and AGOL:

All the best,

MJ