Creating a new font

05-28-2020 07:37 AM
MariaThors
New Contributor II

I need to create complicated electrical symbols for a schematic mapservice. I have tried to use EMF picture symbols, but they don't draw very well. A very long time ago I created a new #font for the old symbols, but the program I used is no longer available and I am unable to find a simple program to create a font with. Preferable I would like to import an AutoCAD drawing or SVG file for each symbol.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
EdiePunt
Esri Contributor

Hi Maria. If you are working in ArcGIS Pro, importing SVG files is preferable to building glyphs in a font. You'll want to use the "shape marker from file" option when you build marker symbol layers in your point symbols. See this topic: Marker symbol layers—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

You may also want to check https://esri-styles.maps.arcgis.com/home/gallery.html to see if there are any symbols that have what you need, that you can use as a starting point. Learn more about working with styles in ArcGIS Pro here:

Styles—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

Add styles to a project—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

Manage styles—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

If the symbols you need are commonly used in your industry and you have a good specification to follow, you can add a request to have the style built by Esri by submitting an idea at ArcGIS Ideas 

Edie

0 Kudos
MariaThors
New Contributor II

Thanks, we are still using ArcMap to create the features, so the symbols need to be usable in ArcMap and the webmap and we need them now. The symbols are according to European standards so perhaps I'll submit it also at ArcGIS Ideas.

0 Kudos