Create Replica with Different Output Coordinate System

05-27-2020 02:48 PM
mpboyle
Occasional Contributor III

Now that ArcGIS Pro includes some replication tools at version 2.5, I'm wondering if there will be a workflow similar to the one outlined in this technical article for creating replicas in different co...?

Better yet...could the the environment variables arcpy.env.outputCoordinateSystem and arcpy.env.geographicTransformations be used as substitutes for this manual workflow?

We would like to have all (or as much as possible) of our web services in Web Mercator to avoid any type of on-the-fly projection...but the only method I've found for create a child replica in a different coordinate system is the workflow linked above.

6 Replies
GrantHopkins1
New Contributor III

We will be eventually moving away from 10.9.1 and that is the last release that supports ArcMap, this functionality needs to be included with ArcPro. We need the ability to replicate to a different projection so that our layers are all in Web Mercator and not projecting on the fly. Thank you.

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

@GrantHopkins1  - you can do this in ArcGIS Pro.  One workflow is:

1.  Export the data to the child geodatabase using the Feature Class to Feature Class GP tool and set the Environment Setting option for the tool to reproject the data to Web Mercator and preserve the GlobalIDs.
2.  Create a one-way replica using the existing data option.

0 Kudos
GrantHopkins1
New Contributor III

@Robert_LeClair , thank you for taking the time to suggest this workflow to me; I really appreciate it. I'll give this a shot! ... But I still want my nice wizard brought back, Esri (haha).

Thanks again!

Grant

0 Kudos
GrantHopkins1
New Contributor III

@Robert_LeClair , I probably should have mentioned that I need to keep the structure of the database consistent as it contains feature datasets and relationship classes. This is the main reason we used that wizard before. Do you have another workflow suggestion that allows for the copying of the data from an enterprise geodatabase to a file geodatabase in a different projection while keeping feature datasets and relationship classes?

Thank you in advance,

Grant

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

@GrantHopkins1 - what you could do is build a model in ModelBuilder that iterates the Feature Class to Geodatabase GP tool and in the Environment Settings for the Model GP tool set the Output Coordinate System and Geographic Transformations to the appropriate values.  Then use the Create Replica GP tool and in the Advanced Settings use a Full Replica Access Type and the Register existing data only checkbox.  This preserve your relationship classes and any geodatabase behaviors in the parent/child replicas.  Let me know if you have any questions! 

0 Kudos
GrantHopkins1
New Contributor III

@Robert_LeClair , thanks again for the help. I'll give this a shot.