How do I correctly set up SQL permissions for ArcGIS Pro?

05-24-2020 09:00 PM
StevenMaberry
New Contributor

I am having a problem setting the correct permissions in SQL to be considered a data owner in ArcGIS Pro. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I am using SQL Server Express 2019 and ArcGIS Pro 2.5.1

I am connecting to the SQL instance using the Windows Authentication method.

I am using the dbo schema.
If I right-click on the database and select "properties", my username is listed as the owner.
Under Security - Logins - Server Roles - my username has the sysadmin role.

I feel like I have read everything ESRI has put out about this, but I am missing something. Any thoughts? 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

DBO is a data owner. Are you getting an error with something?

Are you trying to have data owned by another user other than DBO?

Here are the permissions needed to be a data owner in SQL Server; Privileges for geodatabases in SQL Server—Manage geodatabases in SQL Server | Documentation 

Data creator

• CREATE TABLE
  • CREATE PROCEDURE
  • CREATE VIEW

Users who create data must have a default schema with the same name as their database user name. For example, for the user name simon, the default schema name must be simon. If it isn't, the user cannot create objects such as feature classes.

--- George T.
0 Kudos
StevenMaberry
New Contributor

I do not get an error. But when I right-click on the table in ArcGIS Pro and click permissions, it says I am not the data owner. I am signed in through windows authentication using the one user I have set up on this localhost SQL database. So as the dbo, I should have all of the required permissions, right? I am not sure what else I need to do. 

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Is the database that you are connected to a Geodatabase (i.e. you ran the create or enable Enterprise Geodatabase tools)?

How was the data added to the SQL DB?

I am also curious as to why SQL Server Express?

--- George T.
0 Kudos