How do I override the network analyst barrier limit?

05-22-2020 07:57 AM
AshleyColes
New Contributor II

I am running network analyst and encountered the following error:

ERROR 030095: The number of street features affected by PolylineBarriers limit of 500 has been exceeded.

I interpret the error to mean that my dataset of nearly 2000 barriers is too large. It would be problematic to decrease the number of barriers so I am hoping the limit can be overridden. I am not certain what language is appropriate for the override function or whether that is indeed the issue.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

It seems 500 barriers is the upper limit of the geoprocessing tool.  In my research of the Esri Support Services site, I found this description/solution to the Error 030095 code - 030095: The number of street features affected by limit of has been exceeded.—Help | Documentation 

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos
AshleyColes
New Contributor II

Thanks, Robert! I had found that description, but it doesn't explain exactly how to alter the limit. It says "If possible, increase the cutoff that affects the number of network edge source features." I was hoping that means I can keep all of the barriers by raising the limit above 500, perhaps using the override function. I just don't know what language to use in the override function, or if that's a way to alter the limit.

The other option of cutting the number of barriers to 500 will not work for my analysis, unfortunately, so raising the limit is the only way to proceed.

0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Could you sort-of cheat and cut the network edges at the barriers?

0 Kudos
AshleyColes
New Contributor II

Well, I honestly have no idea. I have been using the default network because I haven't yet developed the skills for building and editing networks. I may be in over my head on this one, but I'll keep looking into it. Thanks for the suggestion!

0 Kudos
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

This error message indicates to me that you are using a service, probably the ArcGIS Online service based on your later comments, to solve your network analysis problem.  The ArcGIS Online services do indeed have limits in place for the number of inputs.  There is no way to exceed these limits while using this service.

If using a large number of barriers is essential to your workflow, you will need to use your own network dataset instead of the ArcGIS Online service.  You could create your own network dataset if you have street centerlines for your area of interest.  Here is a a tutorial showing you how to do that: Create a network dataset—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation   However, creating a high-quality network dataset is a difficult procedure, particularly if you aren't starting with high-quality data.  A better option might be purchasing Streetmap Premium for your area of interest.  This includes a ready-to-use network dataset that contains the same data used by the ArcGIS Online Services, but since you have the data yourself, there are no service limits.

0 Kudos