Importing Symbology and Editing Labels Issue

05-21-2020 08:12 AM
PeteJordan
Occasional Contributor III

I had to create a new layer from the source destination and instead of re-doing the symbology from scratch, I just imported the symbology to the new layer and got rid of the old one.  This worked fine until I realized, I can no longer change the label for that layer anymore.  It still keeps the original labels regardless how I edit or change the Label Properties.  It's just hard coded regardless of what I do it seems.

If I change one of the symbols though, it changes it to whatever I want, so it's just the labels that are somehow locked.  This means not only the expression, but also the Symbols appearance that I can't change.  If I do change it, it still saves it in the Label Properties, but it will still only display the older imported label style.

Anyway of unlocking it so I can change the Labels?  Or is this a bug with importing symbology?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Pete - this seems related to an ArcGIS Idea that was submitted today.  You may read more about this idea here.

0 Kudos
PeteJordan
Occasional Contributor III

Yes I noticed some other threads about people having different situations with the Labels (such as them not showing up) and this seems like there is an issue with labels in general when importing symbology then.  The link you mentioned above is pretty much the same.  I live to have the label properties imported which they do, but with the functionality of being able to change them.  So good to know it's already been reported as an issue (or feature that wasn't implemented) into Pro yet.

Thanks for the reply.  In the meantime, I'll have to re-import the layer and manually re-symbolize everything and then add the new addition I want to the labels which the original layer didn't have...