Is there a way to label features from one map frame differently from features in other map frames?

05-20-2020 05:38 AM
AdamGaudreau
New Contributor II

I'm creating a map layout that shows points on a map, but there are certain regions of the map that have clusters of features making it impractical to label all features at small scale. I want to include additional map frames at a larger scale to allow for clearer viewing of the clustered features. 

I'd like to have a layout where feature labels in the large scale map frames are not repeated in the smaller scale map frame. 

0 Kudos
9 Replies
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

If the frames are at different scales you can make label classes that turn on or off at different scales.

AdamGaudreau
New Contributor II

Robert,

This is the way I'm going to do it. Thank you for the insight.

I'll have to write an sql label query for a second label class to include only the labels from the small scale frame that I would like to appear. Otherwise, the visibility range will simply eliminate all labels at the smallest scale, including those I want to have appear. Thanks again.  

0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

I might be a bit cowboy and export 2 new feature classes, those for the small scale and large scale (lasso your data than export / switch selection etc).

The result would be a 'small scale feature class' and a 'large scale feature class') have both active in your small scale dataframe but label only the small scale feature class etc.

0 Kudos
AdamGaudreau
New Contributor II

This is helpful, but my issue is that it adds an additional layer to worry about when performing any action on either of the layers. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

Are you using Pro or ArcMap>

Are you talking about something like Inset maps?

0 Kudos
AdamGaudreau
New Contributor II

I'm using pro

0 Kudos
AdamGaudreau
New Contributor II

Yes, I'm talking about inset maps. 

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

I have a project of a Wall map for my companies service area which spans parts of 3 states.  We have an area around a dense metro where there are too many labels to show them on the full size map.  So we have an inset, as you are describing, with that metro area in it.

First thing we did was create  Text attribute.  All those features that were outside of the inset we marked as System, those in side the metro we marked Metro

I then created labeling for the System scale items such that it only shows System scale items using the SQL Query. And set the visibility scale

I then duplicated the labeling and set the SQL show everything, so the system items and also set the visibility scale. 

end result metro labels were no showing up on the system and system labels were not showing up on the metro.

With a few exceptions, we had some long transmission lines that went into the Metro and we wanted them labeled.

AdamGaudreau
New Contributor II

Very nice. Thank you for sharing some details about your project. The way you described labeling your project sounds exactly how I just approached labeling mine. Label classes and sql were key here. Otherwise, the job would be cumbersome and more complicated than I want as I will be sending my project as a package for others to use. 

Thank you so much Robert. You were very helpful. 

0 Kudos