ArcGIS Pro not rendering to PDF as expected

05-12-2020 01:36 PM
RebekahZehnder
New Contributor II

I created a tiff shadow of my area of interest in the hopes that I could contain my complete project within ArcGIS Pro and not have to do any post-editing in Adobe Illustrator or Photoshop.  Here it is in a map window in ArcGIS Pro:

shadow tiff in map window in ArcGIS Pro

When I put it in a layout and export the layout to PDF, I get this:

Exported pdf of layout - incorrect results

Interestingly, when I change my map frame a little bit but stay at the same scale, I get different results:

Second map frame layout exported to pdf

This one is not nearly as bad, but it still has some extraneous horizontal lines.

Anybody have a guess what's going on here or how to fix it?  The same thing happened when exporting to .aix, which makes sense to me because I think it's basically the same export process.  My current workaround is exporting everything but the shadow as an .aix, exporting the shadow separately as a png, and inserting it in the appropriate place in Illustrator.  Obviously that's not ideal (and defeats the purpose of having made the shadow a geotiff in the first place...).

I'm not sure if it's something to do with my machine or Pro, and I can't currently test anywhere else.  I'm running ArcGIS Pro 2.5.1 on Windows 10 Enterprise 1903 with 64 GB of RAM.  I'm attaching the shadow geotiff (tiff and world file).

0 Kudos
1 Reply
JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

I took a look, it might be an issue with the raster pyramids involved, I'll get the appropriate developers to take a look.

thanks for reporting!

Just in case you haven't found the workaround yet: strangely I found that doing the whole export at different DPI and raster resample settings will cause it to work properly vs. showing corrupt results.  I had good success with 1200dpi, best quality.