How do I find the nearest parcel located in front of a road and calculate the frontage of parcel facing the road?

05-01-2020 02:12 PM
DianaWilson1
New Contributor III

I have been working in a project to identify the first parcel that is facing to a major road, but I cannot determine how to calculate the frontage length of the parcel for more than 15,000 parcels.   Any ideas, tools or workflow to follow?

The way that I found the nearest parcel located in front of the road was to create two buffers. The buffer for the road and the buffer for the parcels and using the intersection tool to get the list of the parcels. However, I got many control parcels repeated because some parcels are located in an intersection. Does someone knows another way-workflow to find the nearest parcel located in front of a road? Thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Hi, can you screenshot what your data looks like, how do you determine a parcel facing a road? What is the parcel? Are there other features that may block it from facing a road? do you mean the front facing the road or something, and if so how do you know the front of a parcel?

There are much better proximity and spatial relation tools than doing 2 buffers (although you could kind-of conceptually see similarities).

0 Kudos
DianaWilson1
New Contributor III

Hi David, 

Thank you for your reply. The data is polygons for all the parcels of the city and the roads are polylines for the roads. I don't know how to determine if a parcel is facing a road. There is nothing block it from facing a road. Which proximity tool or tools would you use to extract the nearest parcel located in front of a road? I do not want to consume credits. Thank you!  

0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

You're using AGOL? I was thinking from a scripting perspective so have little experience with AGOL and the credits system.

What I was trying to say is how you mean 'facing the road', does that side have to be perpendicular to the road? You've not given much description of what you want to achieve and why.

0 Kudos